Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rare 1989 Arctic Pearl (31U) Z51 Coupe - Looking for Information

Tworacy

Corvette
1995 ZR-1, 88 Challenge, 1958, 1963
Sorry for the long post but I thought I 'd get all the details out at once. I'm currently looking for information on a rare 1989 corvette that I own and thought this group should be a great place to check. I know the NCRS hasn't started judging the '89s yet but it shouldn't be too long and since this is one of those "odd" cars that can cause problems during an NCRS judging, I thought I would also get a head start on getting the information available to the NCRS.

I've already provided this info and a copy of the build sheet to Vito who has indicated that he has passed it on to other members that are gathering info on the '89s. I've also tried the NCM and the Milford Proving Grounds without much luck.

Any information, suggestions or contacts where I might get some of my questions answered will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Monty Pollard
NCRS#38151

RE: 1989 Corvette Z51Coupe, Arctic Pearl White (31U)
VIN 1G1YY2180K5103655

The following are various details regarding this vehicle that make it rare & unique:

- Exterior color is Arctic Pearl (31U, special order). This car is one of only 27 cars painted this color. Of the total of 27, at least 22 were pilot cars built in February or March of 1988 (15 were ZR-1 pilot cars and 7 were L98 pilot cars) and were never sold to the public. Supposedly only the remaining 5 cars could have possibly been sold to the public. The 27 Arctic Pearl cars are specifically mentioned in several books related to Corvettes. This color was a new color which was intended to be used for the introduction of the 1989 ZR-1 which was delayed. Troubles with the color consistency lead to the color being dropped and has never been used again.

- Interior color is Medium Blue leather (RPO 211,212). This was the only Arctic Pearl car produced with blue interior.

- The build sheet indicates that the car was special ordered (hand written) with the Arctic Pearl color on 09/27/88 by initials “CLJ”(?).

- The build sheet also indicates that the car was an “Engineering Driveaway to Milford PG (56-052)” by M. Boling 9/27/88. The other 4 Pearl cars also went straight to the Milford Proving Grounds.

- The radiator shroud still bears the markings “-20’f 10-19-88” by “KL”. Apparently this was written while at Milford for testing.

- The first time the car was publicly registered was in Mississippi in May 1992 with 43,524 miles. I would like to determine if the car was at the Milford Proving Grounds for this period of 3 ½ years or was being driven by someone at GM.

- The build sheet indicates the car was built with many rare options as follows:
Option Quantity
Code Option Description Produced Comments
31U Arctic Pearl exterior paint 27 Max. of 5 sold to public. Rarest C4 color (possibly ever?).
FX3 Selective Ride suspension 1,573
ML9 Six speed transmission 4,113
Z51 Performance handling package 2,224
AQ9 Leather Sport Seats 1,777 Only 55 in blue.
FE7 Heavy Duty Suspension
GH0 3:54 rear axle ratio Possibly only year offered. Very rare.
G87 8.5” ring gear
J55 Heavy Duty Brake system Front 12.9” vs 11.9” standard

- Fast steering ratio (2 turns) available during only first 3 months of 1989 production.

QUESTIONS FOR MILFORD PROVING GROUNDS OR ANYONE ELSE WHO MAY HAVE AN IDEA:

RE: 1989 Corvette Z51Coupe, Arctic Pearl White (31U)
VIN 1G1YY2180K5103655

I’m trying to find the following information on this car. Any help you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

- What was the car used for while at the Milford Proving Grounds? Tests on the paint? Comparison performance tests to early ZR-1s? Promotional photos/test drives?

- Would it be possible to get copies of any information related to this car while at the MPG?

- Where/who did the order to change the color to Arctic Pearl (31U) originate from? Was this some type of COPO order or equivalent?
Additional edit 09/24/03:
I've learned from a couple of sources at GM that my car anyway, the one mentioned previously with the handwritten Arctic Pearl color change, is not considered to be a COPO car. It is what GM calls an "authorized override of a production build". Changes (Overrides) such as this must be noted on the build sheets and have proper authorization for the change to be made.
End Edit

- Possible to get copies of any preproduction documents such as any initial documents/memos requesting the change in color and shipment to the MPG?

- The first public registration on the car was on 05/12/1992 in Mississippi with 43,524 miles. Did it spend the entire time at the MPG or is it possible that a GM executive or engineer may have driven the car during this period up to May 1992? If so, who?

- What was done with the car once the MPG was finished with the car? Was it sold to a dealer?

- Considering the unusual handwritten color change on the build sheet and delivery directly to the Milford Proving Grounds, would this be considered as a “COPO” car or something equivalent?

- Who are the 2 people whose handwriting appears on the build sheet, that 1) requested the special order for the Arctic Pearl paint (“CLJ”?) and 2) requested delivery to MPG (M. Boling)?

- Considering the rarity of the paint, the relationship to the ZR-1 and it’s history at the MPG, could this car be of any unique interest to the Corvette Museum or GM?

Have you contacted the National Corvette Museum (http://www.corvettemuseum.com/) yet? It seems you have as you already have an extensive history on this car. You may have a very unusual car.

I have had involvement with pilot vehicles (mostly trucks) at Chevrolet. It is common that they are sold to the public. Keep in mind that you need to differentiate between pilot cars vs. other early builds for enigneering validation, testing, EPA/safety certification, etc. The pilot's are the last step in reaching start of regular production (SORP). They are used mostly for Production Trail Runs (PTR). The PTR validates that the assembly process works as designed and the parts work as required.

It would be unusual for a car to be used at the proving grounds for 43000 miles and/or several years. Almost all work done at the proving grounds is for future model years... 2 to three models years out. Some production/pilot cars are sent to the proving grounds various short term tests, up to 1000 miles. When testing is finished, they go into "captured fleet" company car service where engineering, marketing, and manufacturing GM employees associated with this model use them as their assigned company car. If Milford had the car, it would have been licensed and registered in Michigan to General Motors. Usually , they are in service approximately 90 days or up to 7,500 miles.

When they come out of company car service, they are sent to a GM auction and sold as a used car. Only GM dealers can attend the auction. At that time, only a Chevrolet Dealer would have been eligible to purchase it.

After the dealer buys the car, it is sold to the public. Somewhere along the way, this car was driven by someone for several years. Some states do not release registration data.

I do recall some of the issues with the ZR1 launch. It was intended to be a 1989 model. The delay was annunced so late that all of the sales/merchandising materials had already been produced. I remember a bunch of us in Marketing inspecting every area of Chevrolet Central Office pulling 1989 ZR1 posters off office walls. Dealer promo plastic model cars had already been produced and the vendor had to scrap thousands of these.

Unfortunately, GM record retention polices at that time led to the disposal of any information you may be looking for. Your best hope is to find another old fart like me who was more closely associated with the Corvette platform.

There is extensive information available here at the Corvette Action Center (under the "Learning Center" tab) to guide you.

Good luck

Great info there Lee. My car is one of the 5 cars that were “special” ordered with the Arctic Pearl paint very early in the 1989 regular production run (#3655). All the other Pearl cars were “pilot” cars. All 5 five of these “regular production” Pearl cars were noted in handwriting on the build sheets as ”Engineering Driveaway to Milford PG (56-052) by M. Boling on 9/27/88”. They were all identical in build with the exception of interior colors. I would love to find out what they were used for. PR, color tests, employee recognition, etc.?

You stated that if they were at MPG, that they would have been registered to GM in Michigan. Shouldn’t there be files somewhere in GM that would show all cars that had been in the “captured fleet”? Any idea who/where to contact for that info? How about records on the cars sold at the GM auctions?

If you happen to remember any other folks around during your time at GM or the MPG, I would appreciate if you could pass along my questions.

I just received new sealed copies of the build sheets from the NCM and they were identical to the ones that I had received from the previous owners. Since I personally knew the last two owners, I wasn’t concerned about that but just wanted a sealed copy straight from the NCM. Unfortunately, that was all the info they could provide.

Thanks again.

BTW, I also have one of those “1989” ZR-1 posters. Guess what color it is? :beer

Record retention rquirements led to the scrapping of that type of information many years ago. It just doesn't exist anymore.

Vehicles used for "Engineering Driveaway" are generally used to evaluate new equipment or features in the developmental phase or to validate customer acceptance prior to regular production. In some cases, current model vehicles have equipment exchanged to something coming out new in future model years. It could be a new option or emission system configuration (or even a paint review). At the conclusion of the test, the vehicle is returned to an "as manufactured" condition by reinstalling the original removed parts. These tests are usually of short duration... maybe a week or two. As previously reported, they are then placed into company car service and later sold at GM auction. Hundreds of thousands of GM owned vehicles have been sold in this manner since 1989.

The 56-052 numbers refer to the ship-to location to which the cars are shipped to. This would correspond to a dealer code if the order was going through normal channels.

I checked the Global GM Phone Directory and there is no M. Boling. One would have to assume that person has retired or left GM.

I'm afraid there is no additional information available from GM.

Thanks Lee. It sounds like you're still working at GM? Any possibility of an M. Bolinz, with a Z? The handwriting is kind of tough to tell.

I've got three kids in college... I'll be here awhile.

Sorry, no Bolinz either.

I've learned from a couple of sources at GM that my car, the one mentioned previously with the handwritten Arctic Pearl color change, is not considered to be a COPO car. It is what GM calls an "authorized override of a production build". Changes (Overrides) such as this must be noted on the build sheets and have proper authorization for the change to be made.

Anyone out there have any more information on the uniqueness or potential affect on value of cars built with "authorized overrides"?

I can't speak for value but I can tell you this situation is very common on a small amount of vehicles for every plant (and manufacturer as well).

Today, we call this a "Paint-Pull-Ahead." It is a test run on actual production vehicles for a new color to be introduced.

You already described this in previous postings.

Again, common manufacturing process on a very limited amount of orders.

Value... who knows? I would guess this may have some impact but the overall condition of the car and it's desireability based on model, model year, powertrain, etc. would have more relevence.

The most credible determination of value is what someone pays for your car when you sell it. Your car has a unique history and you seem to have it well documented. The documentation would mean more to me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom