Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rattle!!! ARRGGG

c5y2k

Corvette
2000 Nassau Blue Vert
I need some help finding a rattle. The car has had this rattle since I got it and I have been putting up with it. NOT anymore I will find it. :bash

So this is a rattle that seems to be coming from the left rear area. I can hear in inside the car with no problems. It is louder with the top down. It doesn't make the rattle when going over bigger bumps. But if I drive down a rough road where the car shimmies it will rattle like crazy.

Things I have done so far. I have wiggled and jiggled the top, the tonneau cover and the trunk lid. I pulled off the left rear tire and knocked and bumped the exhaust, upper A arm, shock, sway bar and anything else in there. I pulled out the inner fender well and poked and prodded around looking for anything that would make this rattle. I checked the fuel door to make sure the little rubber bumpers where there. I looked behind the rear quarter panel around the fuel filler. I pulled off the aluminum guard around the rear of the fuel tank (did find a rock in there) still rattles. I have checked in the trunk area in all 3 tubs they are packed with towels. I have checked around the speaker and the manual fuel door release. I pretty sure its not the brake pads or caliper because of when I painted them last year.
Since its louder with the top down I'm guessing its not inside the car. It also doesn't matter if the top is up or down.

Anyone else experience this rattle? Any suggestions on where to look?

Hi
I 'am curious about the brake calipers. I renewed my 97 with new rotors and pads and recall that the calipers #1 require new bolts with lock tite and torqued to like 160 ft lbs exact i'am not sure of but its great and was very difficult with just a floor jack.you might want to check that out.. then there is that top either in the back or up, you did;nt refer to that. rattles are for me a real pain in the A,
good luck
Thanks Mike

I see that you have a Corsa exhaust. Check the left muffler hanger and see if it looks different from the right side. As is partially visible below, the hanger "bolts" are actually a single piece, sort of like a U-bolt with the curved area flattened out. Many people have been fooled by this and pushed the hanger inside the rear bumper. If that is your situation, the only way to get it is to remove the entire rear facia. :cry

hangers.jpg

I'll double check that. I have been under the back many times looking for this and I have done a visual check of the hangers but I'll check closer.

The other place I'm thinking it might be coming from is the left gas tank. From searching my eSI manual I have read there can be a rattle in that area also.

Thanks for the input.

I took my '03 convertible to the dealership for this same problem. My noise was from the right rear. The dealership replaced the rear wheel bearing and hub assembly. I never would have guessed the hub assembly was the culprit, but it fixed the rattle.

Good luck

I'll double check that. I have been under the back many times looking for this and I have done a visual check of the hangers but I'll check closer.

The other place I'm thinking it might be coming from is the left gas tank. From searching my eSI manual I have read there can be a rattle in that area also.

Thanks for the input.
If you fill the Car FULL of gas,dose it change the noise????;shrug :upthumbs

your rattle?

Was your rattle more noticeable at sometimes than others? I have a rattle in my 02 convertible that seems to come and go. Seems like it starts after I drive for 5 or 10 minutes and it sounds like it is coming from the dash area. I have checked around the dash and HUD unit but I have not been able to find anything loose. I suppose it is possible that the sound is coming from one of the front wheels.

Is this similar to what you experienced?

- stingray13

The rattle I HAD :) was definitely coming from outside the car because it was a lot louder when the top was down. It would also rattle right off the bat it and didn't matter if it was 100F or 15F outside either.

I did find stumble across the source of the rattle when I was finally replacing a bad right rear F45 shock. The old one had a leak and it lost the oil. After replacing it I went for a test drive. :D It drove much better that's when I noticed that the rattle was gone also. How or why replacing this shock fixed the rattle I don't know but its gone.

Found it...fixed it

The advise here is great, and I thank you. I was getting frustrated with the noise when I started seeing others talk about a rattle coming from break lines under the master cylinder. So I checked mine out, secured the contact point, and presto...the rattle is gone.

Thanks,
Stingray13

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom