Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Rattling coming from the Shift Box

D

DrNavyRet

Driving around in my '04 and after 10 miles of some highway and some in town driving, I hear a rattling coming from the shifter. The cue ball is tight; so it's not that; I keep my hand resting on the shifter and the rattle goes away. The car has less than 9400 miles. Some have told me that it need new rubber bushing in the lower box of the shift mechanism and that will solve my annoying problem. I hate the thought of removing the console and the front facia and the shifter and then the lower box only to find out that the bushings are good and the advice was no good. Another suggestion was to go with the MGW shift kit (upper and lower), but I've read some reviews that rave about the short shifting but that it's noisier. My car drives fine and the shifting is smooth and tight, but I like quiet;
rattles drive me crazy. Any thoughts?

Am I the only one who has experienced this? I read somewhere that the shift handle or in my case a 6 spd cue ball is too light and that's why the rattle goes away when I just rest my hand on the ball. I may try a heavier shift ball.

I haven't heard this one before, I was hoping someone would jump in here and offer a suggestion.

Am I the only one who has experienced this? I read somewhere that the shift handle or in my case a 6 spd cue ball is too light and that's why the rattle goes away when I just rest my hand on the ball. I may try a heavier shift ball.

I have rebuilt and modified many OEM C5 shift boxes and have never experienced a shifter rattle, there is a fairly loud rattle when shutting off thee engine without the clutch pushed in and that is normal but that is not what you are describing. Can you get the rattle to act up with the engine off and just wiggling the shift handle back and forth?

So stock shifter but aftermarket shif knob right? Some folks are saying that you should wrap white teflon tape on the shaft where the knob sits.....and that will fix it and it does not seem to matter how tight the knob is ........aftermarket shift boxes seem to rattle a lot and Z06 shifters also rattle but some have had problems with aftermarket shift knobs........I have no problems with my C6 shifter making noise but this is what I have found by some research......anyway its a cheap fix if it works......good luck!

I'll try the teflon tape, but I can't see how that will help. I will let you know. As I mentioned in my question, I've been told that the rubber bushings in the lower box deteriorate fast and that is where the rattling comes from. As you guys have stated that the rattling in the Z06 box is normal and that's because there are no bushngs as it is a solid mount. Going back to the bushings, my rattling should be immediate if the bushings were done or so I'd think. My rattling comes after a 10 mile warmup. I guess I could live with it, but.....

I'll try the teflon tape, but I can't see how that will help. I will let you know. As I mentioned in my question, I've been told that the rubber bushings in the lower box deteriorate fast and that is where the rattling comes from. As you guys have stated that the rattling in the Z06 box is normal and that's because there are no bushngs as it is a solid mount. Going back to the bushings, my rattling should be immediate if the bushings were done or so I'd think. My rattling comes after a 10 mile warmup. I guess I could live with it, but.....

I have seen some seriously bad shifter box bushings that made no noises, but the bolts do need to be tight. I would start disassembly and check for any loose bolts, and make sure to perform the shifter adjustment while you are in there. Good luck with it. :)

I have seen some seriously bad shifter box bushings that made no noises, but the bolts do need to be tight. I would start disassembly and check for any loose bolts, and make sure to perform the shifter adjustment while you are in there. Good luck with it. :)
Did the Teflon tape and no difference. No rattling of shifter when wiggling it with the engine off. And all bolts are snug. I guess this falls I under the category WTFO.

Did it start to do this when it started getting colder? I see some guys have the problem in colder weather........

Did it start to do this when it started getting colder? I see some guys have the problem in colder weather........

Actually started in early Sept; still warm in Central PA

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom