Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Re-Keying

Corvettekid85

Corvette
black 1975 corvette
i haven't been able to find my keys for a very long time... i was just going to see how much, and were i could get the tools to re-key my vette. Thanks;)

Re-Keying Your Car

It shouldn't be too hard. Go to your local Chevrolet dealer with your registration papers or ownership papers for your car. They'll run the VIN and will be able to find out the key codes for you.

You need proof of ownership to prevent some yahoo from walking in with just the VIN and getting a key to your car.

No, afraid not. These new keys, at least on my car, have resistors in them and I've not replaced any.

The dealer will be able to somehow get the codes, he puts the key blanks in his machine, sets the codes and punches out new keys.

Certainly cheaper than a locksmith and replacing your ignition switch etc.

Re: Re-Key

Ok... The cool thing is, is that i don't have a remote for my vette. its a 75 so it doesn't have the remote unlock/lock. all i need is the ignition key for the door's and the ignition.

Not sure on these cars but some foreign manuf.(toyota) ingrave the key code on the pass. door cylinder.

Ok... The cool thing is, is that i don't have a remote for my vette. its a 75 so it doesn't have the remote unlock/lock. all i need is the ignition key for the door's and the ignition.

Your ignition cylinder and door cylinders all have the key code stamped on the outside of the barrel; remove any one of them (or read that number) and a locksmith can make you a key. A dealer can't help you get the key code with a VIN search - that didn't start until much later.

:beer

News To Me

JohnZ, I know about the cylinders having the code numbers on them but when I needed a key for one of my cars, the dealer punched one out for me. I guess there must be a limit on how far back they can go, I wasn't aware of that. Here I was thinking I could help Corvettekid85 out.

In regards to that line, if he had the key code, wouldn't it be easier for the dealer to make the key as opposed to a locksmith?

In regards to that line, if he had the key code, wouldn't it be easier for the dealer to make the key as opposed to a locksmith?

Yes, except very few dealers still have the original code books and the Curtis key cutter tool, much less the correct key blanks.

KeyClipperCurtis.jpg

Can I assume that you resolved your ignition key problem since I haven't seen anyother posts since your last.

John

hey sorry for the wait. i have been looking for my vin number but i cant find the paper. i had it in a lockbox, but its not there. so i have been trying to find it. when i do ill have the key made and reply to you guys. thanks for all of the advice! Ckid

hey sorry for the wait. i have been looking for my vin number but i cant find the paper. i had it in a lockbox, but its not there. so i have been trying to find it. when i do ill have the key made and reply to you guys. thanks for all of the advice! Ckid

Your VIN number (which is visible through the left edge of your windshield) won't help you with your key issue; it's not related to the key number. You need to remove either a door lock cylinder or the ignition cylinder to get the key code.

I started on a Drivers door window and lock pm. I have to fix a couple of broken rollers in the tracks and pulled the latch to clean and lube. In the process I checked the operation of the outside lock and the key was binding in it. This was the original 1972 GM key I got with the car back in 1978. The ignition works fine but trying to unlock it from the outside felt like it would bind and break off. I pulled the cylinder and took it to my local locksmith. I do a lot on these cars but I'm not a locksmith. He looked at the key, went to his computer to pull up info, made a new key in 30 seconds- worked like a charm, $10.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom