Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

re polyurethane total suspension kit 1964

Wayne64

Corvette
1964 black/chery/conv.
Has anyone installed a suspension kit. I was wondering if this is a job that can be done at home. I was looking at Corvette Central for parts.
Any sugestions would be helpfull.;help

Has anyone installed a suspension kit. I was wondering if this is a job that can be done at home. I was looking at Corvette Central for parts.

Not on a C2 (and holy black widows batman is that thing sweeeeet!)...but be aware that polyurethane squeaks like crazy!

Bill

Unless you have a lift I would not do it at home. As for the squeaks, after I did mine, I didn't hear any, but then I have headers and hooker mufflers, so I don't really hear much of anything.

Unless you have a lift I would not do it at home. As for the squeaks, after I did mine, I didn't hear any, but then I have headers and hooker mufflers, so I don't really hear much of anything.

Did you use the polygraphite bushings? I did a Camaro with those some years back...it never squeaked a bit. The '84 with just standard polyurethane however is a different story!

Bill

Thanks.
I will be getting a 4 post lift before winter.

Did you use the polygraphite bushings? I did a Camaro with those some years back...it never squeaked a bit. The '84 with just standard polyurethane however is a different story!

Bill

Yes I bought the whole kit and used about 50% of it so far. Didn't need to replace some. It's been three years and still no squeeks.:)

Has anyone installed a suspension kit. I was wondering if this is a job that can be done at home.

If this can be done at home...............anything can be done at home. ;)

NewFrontSusp1.jpg

http://www.computersupport.ca/Restoration/Susp-install.htm

Wayne, welcome to the :CAC

f2023 said:
Yes I bought the whole kit and used about 50% of it so far. Didn't need to replace some. It's been three years and still no squeeks.:)

Yeah that polygraphite is cool stuff...wish I would have gone that way with the '84...

67HEAVEN said:
If this can be done at home...............anything can be done at home. ;)

heheheh :cool

I did ALL of the bushings on the '84 at home on jackstands...and bearings, and u-joints, and.....

Will order a kit. Did you require a torch? thanks for the links.

I received the VBP catalog. I feel like a kid in a candy store. I like the real deal kit.
Front disk conversion looks good as well. I like the idea of a dvd with the kit.
Oh did this change the ride height or will it look stock from the front?
Thanks for now

Oh did this change the ride height or will it look stock from the front?
Thanks for now

Wayne,

If you're referring to the VBandP Performance Plus suspension system, you can easily adjust the ride height (up or down; front and rear) in 20 minutes, but each time you do, you'll require an alignment. Once you have the look you want, then get the alignment.

You also have a choice of four stiffness settings (front and rear), and changing it does not require an alignment. Don't begin with the stiffest setting if you have any fillings in your teeth. ;)

I can see where a lift has it's advantages in certain areas but when working on a frame that's free of bodywork I'd just as soon set on my shop stool with the car on jack stands about 1.5-2 ft. off of the ground. Standing for a period of time and reaching up kills my aging back. I have one of those formed creapers with the head rest that adjusts so I don't have to hold my head up to work and it is really quite comfy.

Honestly, I think guys buy lifts just so their wives don't catch them sleeping under their Corvette on the creeper. :L

Thanks Tom.
The body is still on my car. As for the lift i require a four post lift so i can get my truck
inside for the winter. Good idea about the creeper.

I've been trying to sell my wife on the idea of stacking the Corvettes for the winter also. Unfortunately she is wise to me and knows that freeing up a garage space means I'd fill it with another project.

Installed a VBP kit at home, on jack stands, body on. Took a week vacation and got it done no problem. The hardest part was rebuilding the front control arms. :beer

Bushings

Sky65; I also did all the bushings at home on jack stands, I would think that a 4 post will get in the way, may be just me. I installed rubber all the way around, the old ones lasted 40 years and I only need them for aprox. 20 years. :pat

I just got the Dvd from vbp. Looks great. Not sure about using vice grips.
Over all very professional.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom