Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Re-skinning a 62 trunk lid

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
As some of you may have noticed at carlilse My trunk lids fiberglass is rupturing again.

I have looked at several used trunk lids and all of the ones I found had a ton of sins under the paint,

Over the summer I had aquired a NOS trunk skin.

At Carlilse I found a cheap ($50.00) trunk lid with a perfect frame but a bad skin on it.

So now the time has come for me to join them together

Any suggestions on how to remove the skin from the excisting good frame I want to re-use

Larry, a good sharp putty knife, a hammer and lots of patience. You will be amazed how easily the skin will come off once you start to split it at the bonding joint. I

Regards, John McGraw

As some of you may have noticed at carlilse My trunk lids fiberglass is rupturing again.

I have looked at several used trunk lids and all of the ones I found had a ton of sins under the paint,

Over the summer I had aquired a NOS trunk skin.

At Carlilse I found a cheap ($50.00) trunk lid with a perfect frame but a bad skin on it.

So now the time has come for me to join them together

Any suggestions on how to remove the skin from the excisting good frame I want to re-use
YIKES!!!!!!

John

Once I get it off and clean up the frame surface

when bonding the new skin to the frame I plan on using the new 2 part 3M stuff (thats mixed in the gun) and then using a plastic squeege to level it

then I plan on setting the lid frame down on my saw hourse and weighting the skin with some sand bags

Is this how you would do it.

I skinned hundreds of doors,hoods,trunks but all metal stuff this will be my first fiberglass skinning. I am hoping to get it done this week end

Larry,

I have never used the gun-applied adhesive, but I know a lot of guys swear by it. I would use a pretty quick cure time formula, and I have never flattened out the adhesive. I just apply a good bead of adhesive and let the clamping force extrude it out of the gap. While the adhesive is still not quite hard, I trim away the excess with an exacto knife and razor scraper. I have allways just used the polyester bonding adhesive, but I am sure that the two-component, gun applied system by either 3M or Fusor will work quite fine.

Regards, John McGraw

Make sure you buy the right formula as there are several different ones. It depends on what you are bonding and whether it's structural or not. Also they have a compressed thinkness that is required for a good bond. Some of them have beads in the mix that hold the 2 surfaces apart the required amount when clamped.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom