Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Rear Bearing Hub

sweabe

Corvette
1994 Torch Red Conv
I have replaced the rear bearing hubs, and have two different instructions on how to tighten the Hub Nut.

1. The FSM states that I should NOT lower the vehicle onto the wheels until the nut is properly tighten (I assume this is the correct instruction)

2. Together with the Hub (SKF) was a generic instruction, which says, that "with the wheels on the ground and the weight of the vehicle on the wheels, torque the axle nut to manufacturer's specifications"

My question is, do I need to torque the nut after lowering the car onto the ground?

Thanks!

//sweabe

I would do as the FSM says to do. Having said that then I would lower the car and load the bearings by putting weight on them and rolling the car forward and back so the wheel turns at least one revolution. Then raise up the car again and torque the hub nut again. If you have a significant amount of movement of the nut repeat this procedure until the bearing and hub are seated on the shaft without any play. Do not over torque only go to the FSM torque figure

In this instance, be it 164 or 200 lbs/ft, I'd follow the Service Manual instructions and do the final tightening with the wheels off the ground. You can lock the hub/rotor assy by installing the brake caliper then sticking a big punch or cold chisel into one of the rotors cooling vent holes then turning the rotor until the punch stops on the caliper body. Then you can apply 200 lbs/ft.

Thanks, I have tighten the nut to 164 lbs/ft.

Where can I find the GM Service Bulletin, saying 200 lbs/ft?

//sweabe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom