Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear bearing replacement on the 68 ???

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
I'm replacing the entire brake system,fuel tank,lines and 1/2 shaft U joints so I thought while I've got the bearings rite there,why not.. the cars been sitting there 20 years.
All of the manuals that I have dont have a very clear step by step and I've never been this deep before.
Does anyone have a good guide they could share w/ me. I dont feel any play in the bearings once the 1/2 shafts were off, just thought they would be a little dry after sitting that long..

Thanks.. Jim

Jim,
Do you have the 1968 Chevy Chassis Service Manual??

Cee

Seems pretty simple. The only hard part is getting the outer bearing off of the spindle. Which you will need a special tool.

Also getting the spindle out of the trailing arm. Yet another special tool.

You will also need another tool to set the bearing play. :eek:hnoes

68Roadster,
No I don't..
I just did a search and am thinking this might be out of my league. If my bearing are tight might just take a chance but is yhere a way to get more grease to those bearings??

Jim,
You can still get the manual from some of the Corvette suppliers. It does have a very detailed section on bearing replacement and bearing adjustment. Yes it is a complex process with many special tools....personally I would have someone that does this often do the work....
If you are worried about them being dry then buy the greasing tool that allows you to grease without removing....

http://www.volvette.com/page/VVP/PROD/tools/TL10

Good luck!

If you are not familiar with the rear wheel bearings don't replace them, get somebody who knows how to. They have to be shimmed and if you don't install them the right way it will be a very expensive lesson. Take the advice above and buy the greasing tool to lube the bearing. The rule used to be if it wasn't singing don't mess with it. The lube tool did work very well though.

68Roadster,
No I don't..
I just did a search and am thinking this might be out of my league. If my bearing are tight might just take a chance but is yhere a way to get more grease to those bearings??
You need one of these Bad Boy's!!!:upthumbs

attachment.php

This month's issue of Corvette Enthusiast Magazine covers rear bearing replacement. It's a decent how-to article, but the overall gist of the content is to farm out the job to the professionals. Specialized tools are needed which most of us don't own. The aftermarket providers carry the tools, but they're pricey.

Personally, if the bearings haven't given you any trouble, replacement is a job which can wait.

:)

Don't even THINK about doing the bearings yourself unless you've done it before and have all the special tools required; this is one of the jobs that's best left to a professional.

:beer

All I can add is that I just had this done.Just got car back about fifteen min. ago.I had new rear calipers put on.I did that with help from a friend.We found the right rear bearing had some play in it.Too deep for me dang it!!!I went and bought the bearing and took it to the place that does all my work.Turns out my bearing was frozen in there and it took them hell to get it off.The repair book lists the repair at $600.00 for labor.He charged me $300.00.Don't know why GM didn't put a zerk in there????

Nice job to do yourself if you aren't in a hurry and will be doing a desent job. And ofcourse if you're willing to pay for all the special tools or figure out to do it in another equal way, don't think about using a hammer only use a hydraulic press! But its fun to do and you learn something. :)

Groeten Peter.

That bearing greaser, can someone explain to me how that works.
I've got the 1/2 shafts off so it looks like it goes on the inner side but do I have to remove any seals??

Jim,
Been awhile but I think you have to pull the half shaft flange...4 bolts...then pull the spindle nut off, slide the greaser on and then put the nut back on to hold the greaser in place. Then start pumping.....

Make sure you put the flange back on same way it came off....mark 1 bolt hole before removal.

Most greasers come with instructions, would grab mine but garage is closed up for the night....

Need torque for the nut as well.....will get tomorrow if no one else has chimed in.

You need one of these Bad Boy's!!!:upthumbs

attachment.php

This tool works to lube only ONE of the bearings. The inner bearing never gets grease with this tool. The advice to let others do the work is dead on. I was at a seminar and watched them do a trailing arm. Lots of specialized tools were used, a certain skill level was needed in order to properly set up the spacing on the bearings, leaving enough chances to screw it up. I do all of my work but I farmed this job out.
Gary

I've got a homemade greaser, but if you can get the trailing arms off by Sunday you should be able to pick up a set in Lima. Last time I was there there were several Vender's that had them. Its been a few years since I've been there but you could try calling Bairs to see if they are going, thats one I remember seeing there.
Craig sr

Jim,

Need torque for the nut as well.....will get tomorrow if no one else has chimed in.

I believe that it's 100 ft. lbs. I'd stay away from those greasing tools, for the reasons stated above. May as well do the job properly by taking them apart and being sure that everything is 100% correct.

Mtce. interval is 40,000 miles.............................:beer

Thanks Mikey.....

Spoken like a true OEM ;LOL

You guys thawed out yet?

I wrote a full photo-illustrated step-by-step technical article on rear spindle bearing replacement in the current (May) issue of "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine; if you don't have those skills and tools, send your arms to Bair's or to Gary (GTR1999) - they do them every day. :)

Thanks all,
Going to get a bearing greaser and see how that goes.Bearings feel pretty tight, so going to take a chance and see if they last.
You've all convinced me to send them out if they act up..and understand the the greaser only gets the inside bearing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom