Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Rear brakes sticking

OK, I disconnected the rear line at the T, before the rubber hoses and there is some fluid flow. Oddly enough, there is suddenly fluid at the calipers too!! I think they are still dragginf some,
Don't surprise me in the least,Thats why I agreed with G Winter,just one of the classic symptoms of brake hoses that the inner lining is collapsing!~!!!Very 1st thing I check when brakes are dragging on anything,2nd is the wheel bearings..if the rotors are not running at 90* the pistons in the calipers can get wedged in the bores and not retract,especially if the bearings have run loose for a while and the pads get worn at a funky angle!~!!:thumb

PS. I'm not really a Vette Mechanic,But I do play one at "Junk My Ride" and I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on occasion!~!!

:D

Last edited:
Update

Ok, a quick update. I have had my car torn down for the past month working on the suspension and while I was at it, I re-sealed the rear rotors, replaced the pads, turned the rotors and replaced the hoses. I have great flow now while bleeding the brakes. However, I drove the car to work this morning and it seems to be having the same issue, just not quite as bad. Is there a way to test the Master Cylinder for proper operations. Other than that, What else could it be? I am going to unplug and pull the ABS fuse to see if that makes it any better, my suspicion is that it wont.

One more input, I need an alignment pretty bad now after all of the maintenance that I performed on the suspension. Could it be that the misalignment is now causing this problem? I am taking it in today for an alignment, but just curious. I had several broken and misaligned parts on my car's suspension, now if I could ust get the brakes to work correctly i think that it would be a fun car to drive around!

Have you checked the rear bearings for free play ?

???

Mike

Bearing Play

I have not checked the bearing play, but i will check it tommorrow.
As a side note, the brakes bled easily this time as opposed to before when I got just a trickle of fluid out. I mentioned before that the PO had made a lot of "repairs" that I am now having to go back and correct. he said that he had changed the brake booster and master cylinder, has anyone experienced either of these causing this problem? I am trying not to just throw parts at this thing, but it almost seems that i have no choice.

1986 Brakes Sticking

Did you figure out why your brakes were sticking?

My brakes work fine until the car heats up. The rear brakes then stick similar to yours. The emergency brake works fine.

I changed both rear calipers and rear pads, then bled the system. The brake fluid flowed out of both rear calipers OK during the bleed.

The car stops great until after about 5 minutes of driving.

I just got my transmission rebuilt, but don't know if that has anything to do with it. My u-joints are all new.

Was there any final resolution to this rear brake sticking when driven a few miles issue? I have the same thing on my 99....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom