Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Deck Spoiler

Pac-man said:
Jimmiejam, why are spoilers O.K. if they are factory installed?
To me, any non-factory spoilers would be worthless. The factory put in a lot of time and effort to get the aero package correct. The C5 is good for 180 mph or more. If a spoiler was needed then the factory would have added it. An after market spoiler will only mess up the aero package, could even make the car unstable at speed. Not a good idea.

tom...

That may or may not be true. Cost is always a factor in improving a vehicles performance. So, a spoiler may actually improve the C5's performance, but GM decided not to add it to the vehicle because of cost to manufacture. Maybee the improvement was a very small increment, therefore the cost would'nt justify adding it. Unless we saw real data, it's all speculation. With that said, cosmeticaly, I vote no spoiler still.

Spoilers are probably the most tacky ricey thing you can do. Go save your money or buy a new set of wheels or an exhaust or something.

I have seen some very nice, low profile, body-color spoilers that looked very nice, elegant, and understated. But it seems I am in the minority ;)

A spoiler on the back of a Corvette looks like crap....:rotfl :L

Tom73 said:
To me, any non-factory spoilers would be worthless. The factory put in a lot of time and effort to get the aero package correct. The C5 is good for 180 mph or more. If a spoiler was needed then the factory would have added it. An after market spoiler will only mess up the aero package, could even make the car unstable at speed. Not a good idea.

tom...

that was my EXACT point and why they are not installed from the factory!

I remember in 2000 at Carlisle there were a bunch of Corvette factory engineers that were trying to fit aftermarket spoilers on to the rear of the 2000 Vettes in the factory tent. They held them in place and gauged them one at a time, and one by one tried all the pieces they had. Probably 4-5 of them. Then they just all looked disgusted and shook thier heads to the guy that wanted them to try them on the C5. Either they decided they wouldn't fit to the rear deck or they just didn't like the idea of messing up the lines, I don't know which. But they spent a good 1/2 Hr. fitting each piece and studying how they fit.

Thanks but NO THANKS for your answers to my post. I asked a few simple questions about the installation of a spoiler on "MY" corvette. I did "NOT" ask for "YOUR" opinion of how a C-5 looks with a spoiler. In two pages of replies, I received exactly 0 answers to my questions. 90% of the replies that I did get, sounded like they came from a bunch of High School know-it alls. When I first found the CAC forum, I thought it was a great place to get answers to any questions that I would have for my car. I now realize it is a place for people who think they have more taste and knowledge than the person who is looking for answers. I would hope in the future that the people who monitor this forum would not post any replies that do not have an legitimate answer for the question.

jrizz1 said:
Thanks but NO THANKS for your answers to my post. I asked a few simple questions about the installation of a spoiler on "MY" corvette. I did "NOT" ask for "YOUR" opinion of how a C-5 looks with a spoiler. In two pages of replies, I received exactly 0 answers to my questions. 90% of the replies that I did get, sounded like they came from a bunch of High School know-it alls. When I first found the CAC forum, I thought it was a great place to get answers to any questions that I would have for my car. I now realize it is a place for people who think they have more taste and knowledge than the person who is looking for answers. I would hope in the future that the people who monitor this forum would not post any replies that do not have an legitimate answer for the question.

Hey Dude, Climb down from your High Chair - Some of us supported adding a spoiler to your car. Indeed, I am looking for just the right one for my car. That said, your sophomoric diatribe is out of line. When you go to an internet board EXPECT opinions - most of which will differ from your own -deal with it.

jrizz1 said:

jrizz1,

Unfortunately, you are right about some people thinking you're interested in their opinions about a potential mod when, in fact, all you wanted was an answer to a specific question. I guess that's human nature. I hope you'll just go ahead and pursue your interest in a spoiler. By the way, I like them!

Elaine

The Drakester said:
Hey Dude, Climb down from your High Chair - Some of us supported adding a spoiler to your car. Indeed, I am looking for just the right one for my car. That said, your sophomoric diatribe is out of line. When you go to an internet board EXPECT opinions - most of which will differ from your own -deal with it.

i agree. this is an OPINION forum. sorry you got your feelings hurt. maybe your just the type of person that should make your own decisions and not ask for opinions from others on very subjective topics. i'm sorry if my comment (in humor) offended you.

best of luck on your spoiler.:)

jrizz1 asked for technical information. Re-read his post. While we may all have opinions about spoilers, that is not what he asked. He asked a serious question and got no help.

This is terribly unfortunate.
Perhaps if it had been posted in the "C5 Technical Forum" rather than in the "General Discussion Forum" he might have gotten a technical answer.
That's why there are dedicated forums for different areas.
Perhaps it's not too late?

Installing the spoiler is very easy. Between paint and instalation a fair price would be $500. Sorry for the confusion bro.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom