Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear-end rebuild update

Whiteshadow89158

Corvette
1981 dark purple coupe
So the trailing arm got delivered to the wrong house so i'm gunna have to hold off the rebuild till thanksgiving but i got some work done.

1.jpg

14.jpg

After being pressure washed:

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

In this pic you can see where the PO damaged the trailing arm with a torch at the bottom of the main base.

9.jpg

and this is where he welded on the castle nut.

11.jpg

Diff+crossmember after some mineral spirits:

19.jpg

18.jpg

17.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Right hand T/A:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

and misc.

6.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

2.jpg

13.jpg

Hi, what is the size of the batwing(carrier assembly bolts)? There are two of them. Left and right side that attache the carrier to the frame. I am in the process of removing mine and it looks like I do not have the right size socket. Not sure if its standard or metric. The largest metric I have is a 20 mm and it did not fit and my standard set , cannot remember but I think it was 7/8 and it was a little loose.

BTW, can you remove the batwing from the differential?

Thanks,
R

i'm not possitive but it might be 3/4. The diff is easily removed from the crossmember, just be carful with your gears.

Got it.... I used a 21 mm box end wrench and backed it up with a crescent wrench...

Yeah, I would like to take the batwing off. The gears are bolted in though correct? The batwing does not provide any support to the guts of the differential I would think.

If you power washed the diff I would pull the cover to be sure there's no water in it. Better now then later. If you're going to rebuild it then it doesn't matter.

If the T/A is rotted or bent replace it now as well.
Those look like non CA arms, I've rebuilt CA arms and they came out better then you see in catalogs.

ya the left side T/A wasnt even reuseable so i ordered a new one. The other side looked good though so i'm just going to overhaul it. There were alot of saftey issues that needed to be addressed on the suspension. I didnt find most of them untill the rear end was apart.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom