Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear gears

Corvette
1987 Z52 Black Convertible
I know there's been a lot of threads regarding gear ratios, but couldnt find what I was looking for. I am planning on changing the gears and am most likely going with 3.73's, but what is the best gear to get? My car is still relatively stock internally, and that probably wont change for a while yet.

Thanks

back when my 86 (manual trans) was mostly stock, 3.73 was too much for the street tires, went one notch lower to 3.54 and was happy with those...current modded 355 c.i. is again ''traction challenged'' but upcoming bigger hammer underhood is gonna get more rubber on the rears --news report will follow.

c4 trannies have deep gear ratios in the lower ranges and can be ''over-geared'' easily (if you're into ''theories'')

I don't think I can get 3.55's with the D36. Where is the best place to get the gears?

3.54 for the D36

Im not to worried about not being able to "hook" because I don't want to start breaking stuff. Hence more tire spin = less wear on the drivetrain parts. I can always get stickier tires but I don't want to be able to dead hook this car. I want to just do this once, and don't know which way I should go.

Also who out there makes the best quality gears for the D36?

I recently put 4.10's in my LT4. I found a local shop (AZ Differential) and took the pumpkin to them for the gear install. They supplied the gears (4.10 Viper) and did the internals and gave me back the pumpkin to reinstall. I think I paid them $500 or so. Most places that do this type of stuff have the gears on hand or have easy, low-cost access to them. I'd recommend going that route.

I'm thinking the 3.54's will be just right for your car. Being that the L98 isn't as high revving as the LT1, 3.73's may be too low....at least on a stock motor.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom