Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear hatch latch

napacruzerC5

Corvette
'01 TR M6, '07 MS A6
The rear hatch latch has always been a problem for my C5 especially the passenger side. Comparing the two (left vs. right), I realized that the left side latch is firmly in place and doesn't move while there is a lot of movement on the right side. Any tech tips on how to access the latch and what needs to be tightened? Hopefully that will solve my "hard to close" prolems (and yes I open both doors before attempting to close).

The rear hatch latch has always been a problem for my C5 especially the passenger side. Comparing the two (left vs. right), I realized that the left side latch is firmly in place and doesn't move while there is a lot of movement on the right side. Any tech tips on how to access the latch and what needs to be tightened? Hopefully that will solve my "hard to close" prolems (and yes I open both doors before attempting to close).

The latches are fastened to the body underneath the carpet covers. The carpet pieces are easy to remove - just "pop" them off (or the side that is loose) and tighten the fasteners that hold the latch.

Good luck.

Thanks 99whitecoupe

I'll try that and maybe I'll solve one of those nagging problems once and for all.

Bigger problem than I imagined. The latch cover is held in place by the lower cargo net loop. Remove that and the net since it will get in your way. Then work the cover loose; you may have to work it around the targa top cargo latch to remove. Don't pull too hard since the cover also retains one of the rear cargo lights. Anyway, after removing the cover I discovered the whole latch assembly, basically the bracket that the latch mechanism is attached too, had broken away from the cargo body fibreglass. There was no tightening anything since the bracket was "riveted" to the cargo body and the rivets had broken through the glass. So, I drilled two holes through the bracket and the glass and attached screws to that. Not a permanent solution as the screws will eventually work through the glass and pop out (any suggestions for a permanent solution welcomed). So with the latch attached to the cargo body a gentle downward push on the hatch now engages the latch and the DIC doesn't give me a "hatch ajar" message.

Happy 4th of July all:beer

Rhys
You can pull one of your tail lights on that side and put bolts in and large washers so it will not break out again.
VJ

Rhys
You can pull one of your tail lights on that side and put bolts in and large washers so it will not break out again.
VJ

Thanks VJ. I actually thought about that on my commute home tonight. I will try it this weekend. I'll have to enlarge the holes I drilled. Any suggestions on how to remove the original "rivets" - actually let me take a look at them from the other side (tailight side). I may be able to remove the rivets and use those holes with REALLY large washers. I really don't want to drill any other holes since that may weaken the whole structure.
Rhys

Thanks VJ. I actually thought about that on my commute home tonight. I will try it this weekend. I'll have to enlarge the holes I drilled. Any suggestions on how to remove the original "rivets" - actually let me take a look at them from the other side (tailight side). I may be able to remove the rivets and use those holes with REALLY large washers. I really don't want to drill any other holes since that may weaken the whole structure.
Rhys

Rhys
Did you get this fixed?

VJ,
Fixed it using your suggestion about going at it through one of the tailights. Discovered that the upper right (out of 4) flat headed bolts did not have a nut and washer on it. That's probably what made it loose to begin with then caused the upper left bolt to just break the 'glass. Replaced the nut and washer on the upper right then drilled a bigger hole and placed a new bolt/nut/washer on the upper left.

Now I don't have to slam down anything to close the hatch :cool

VJ,
Fixed it using your suggestion about going at it through one of the tailights. Discovered that the upper right (out of 4) flat headed bolts did not have a nut and washer on it. That's probably what made it loose to begin with then caused the upper left bolt to just break the 'glass. Replaced the nut and washer on the upper right then drilled a bigger hole and placed a new bolt/nut/washer on the upper left.

Now I don't have to slam down anything to close the hatch :cool

That is good news!
VJ

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom