Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rear hatch pseudo vent

Firebirds were using that mech

The firebirds used that mechanism for quite a while and most of the people I knew that had them didnt care for them much. They were pretty unreliable and a hatch that is stuck in the out position doesn't look very nice. (makes you look like you dont even know how to close your hatch) I dont think I would be too envious of that.

Well....being an engineer myself, I think it is a good idea that was not engineered correctly for longevity, if thats what the problem was. The caddy trunk lid is pretty heavy...but it was not meant to run with the trunk slightly open subjecting it to buffeting winds. I am looking forward to the idea of playing with this to make a working model for my car, purely for astetic personal reasons.

A lot of times, the mechanism fails due to people closing the hatch/trunk too hard. The mechanism ends up taking a beating and as a result, does not last as long.

A lot of cars use these systems. It should not be beyond reason to retrofit one. The trick would be getting the system to go up on the fly. When closing, you could just put an interrupt in the power lead so that it does not pull the latch the rest of the way.

If you get a motor cheap (so that you can toy with it) you might try running the power through it backwards. It might actually run the latch up without releasing it. Then all you would have to do it insulate the mounting so that it does not ground thought the mounting bolts. (PS. Ford uses this type of system for its door locks)

Just a thought.
NO warranties are expressed or implied. :L

Mike

Topless...

You been looking in my garage?????:upthumbs

I think Topless hit on this and I was thinking the same thing. The unit should automatically adjust at speed much like the Porsche Carrera wing does. When you hit, say 30 MPH, the hatch would automatically lift and then pull itself in when brought to a stop.

Of course there would need to be an override switch so the thing didn't automatically open during a surprise thunderstorm. :D Manual might be better. ;)

I had a 96 WS6 Trans Am that had the dame feature, it was nice.

Actually the way it works now...is that the release works like normal. But when you close the hatch it goes down so far then catches...then the secondary motor pulls it in the rest of the way. When you want the hatch opened up "a bit" you toggle a switch the allows the secondary motor to allow the hatch back up to the point it catches without letting it open all the way. Then if you want it to close, just toggle the switch and it pulls it in again. It is actually very easy...when I get it complete I will share all vital info with the members.

Power Hatch Vent !

Hello All !
Eagle, if your mechanism works out, I would greatly appreciate the info. or possibly purchasing a pre-fabbed unit ready for installation ! Thanks for all the posts and input from everyone, as this is something that I had been thinking about as well !

:w
Steve.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom