Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rear hatch pseudo vent

E

Eagle85C4

I watched the boss close his trunk on his caddy today and marveled at the way it just closed itself. That got me to thinking that if the same closing mechanism could be attached to the rear hatch, you could open it up just enough to vent and then close it with the flip of a switch....
Wonder if the boss would miss his.....

Another option

Along with NYERNGA's suggestion .. there is an even better Hatch Vent available called EZVent do a search here on the site and read all about it!

However, this isn't what the "eagle" was suggesting!!! I too own a Caddy and the trunk closing mechanism would be a great addition to a Vette. We have to close the rear hatches pretty darn solidly when the doors are closed. Wouldn't a "click....burrr" be a whole lot better!!

Check out some bone yards Eagle and see if you can do it!

Now you are catching on....
In as much as the mechanism closes the trunk lid, imagine if you could do it in reverse...just open it to the point it stops without releasing the hatch. You could have a built in "EZ Vent"
Also when you remove the key it would close the hatch for you.
Problem with most hatch vent equip, it has to be installed, then removed. My idea would incorporate it into the existing hatch release.
You would then have hatch vent at the throw of a switch. With nothing to remove.

Too Cool !!

And you know it could be made to work!!
Maybe GM has a reward program for mostest goodest ideas!!
This is one!

You guys have been going on about this idea, but I don't think the mechanism is designed to hold the item ajar (door, hatch, etc.); it's meant to help, and hold, it in the closed position. I don't think it will hold (pun intended) up under the stress. ;)

_ken :w

Well Sir I have looked into this and am in the process of making it work. You see when you close the trunk it latches, then a motor pulls the lid in the rest of the way. Actually the worm gear pulls the whole mechanism inside likened to a turtle pulling it's head in. So once the hatch is locked it could pull it in or leave it out for the vent effect.

Eagle????????!!!!!!!!!

Did you call Ken SIR????

Wowzers!!!

Actually Ken, when the trunk is latched in the closed position, it is very much ajar. It then is drawn to the tightly closed position.. a few inches further than when it latched. I think it would be possible to have something override the closing action and still hold the lid/hatch in place!

Eagle may just be on to something rather neat here!

Just do it !!!! Eagle ..... And, show us the pictures and the finished product.

Re: Eagle????????!!!!!!!!!

Tanzanite3 said:
Did you call Ken SIR????

I feel like Rodney Dangerfield here -- I get no respect! :L

_ken :w

I had a similar device on the hatch of my 92 Camaro in high school. I would close the hatch, the the mechanism would pull the hatch down into place. Perhaps if you have trouble with your fabrication you can look into buying some parts from the Camaro's setup.

Well Mama always taught me to respect my elders.....:L :L :beer

I have been watching this thread with interest. Recently I attended a car show and a fellow approached me regarding the EZ Vent latch which I have in my C4. He wanted to try one in his Camaro! After some persuausion we tried it, I let him install it, and it actually worked in the Camaro. It needed some minor adjustments but he was pretty happy as had been looking for something on the market to hold his back hatch area open. Think it was newer model, 2000ish. Thought I'd share this with you.

BTW Ken - the Canadian EZ Vent site has been upgraded (lots of requests for this!) and also includes a new C4 product. Its now at www.corvettegadgetman.com

In regards to having the pull-down mechanism...

As an owner of an '86 IROC that has such a thing, I have to say that I "absolutely HATE IT". I guess it is fine when the car is new, but as the car gets older it is something that cause a LOT of problems. I've replaced the pull-down mechanism 3 times now since I bought the car in early '97.

Eagle! Get this to work. I'll do it if you do it!

I often see these clips from Ecklers/MA and think they are cool but its just another thing I gotta do when I lock up my car.

Now If I had a Vent that was controlled off a switch on the dash!

MUHAHAHAhahahaaa.

Plus every Vette guy would ENVY it. This is a well thought out customization.....

Kinda like how I feel about Nyernga's Glove compartment.LOL

:L

Check it out Big Red

A couple of posts above is a link to the Corvettegadgetman.. He's made a hatch vent which still allows you to alarm the car when parked. Cannot be removed when latched. Is simple as all get out to install/remove. And best of all is very inexpensive... unlike the inferior ones in the Vette Magazines we all see!

Well this weekend I am replacing the whole rear interior. Carpet, new plastic, new targa top storage pillar covers, speaker covers, trim around the hatch, and trying to install one of the three test mechanisms I have been playing with....more to come...

Glenn,

Does the vent have a electrical lead? Ive already got a Ungo alarm (Model # is beyond me ATM). It had Motion Sensor (I removed WAY to sensitive) Shock Sensor, Back up BATT, and Door triggers. If its just another zone I'll look into it for sure!..

Motion was nice I could park it with the roof off LOL but a Fly or a Wasp would set it off ROFL

rear hatch vent

I installed one of those hatch vents and after using it for awhile I noticed the hatch didn't seal the same and leaked like crazy. Using that thing caused my hatch to twist. Took it off. Won't use anything like it again.

Electrical Lead

Big Red.. No electrical lead. However, it does have a small "finger-like" piece which depresses the switch for the interior light and the hatch alarm. So, with this one installed, the light goes out with it down and the alarm is activated just like normal.
I cannot imagine how a piece of glass will bend/warp and not make a good seal useing one of these.. anyone else found the same problem?
I only use mine for short periods of time.. I guess we just have a bit too much rain up here!!!!

I bought the one you are talking about, I think one of our members makes it. Anyway, I'm very happy with it. Much cheaper than those in the catalogs, simple to put on and take off, and my aftermarket alarm system works fine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom