Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Jacking Point

Glava2876

Corvette
1984 Z51 4+3 Bright Red Coupe
:confused I am changing the intake manifold gaskets on my 84 and am going to flush and refill the coolant, replace the theromstat etc. and want to put it on jack stands to get good clearance.
I bought a shop manual and looked to see where the jacking points are and it shows the four service lift points and also indicates the front cross member as the location for a floor jack, but I don't see any place indicated for using a floor jack on the rear -is there a safe place to use a floor jack on the rear?

:confused I am changing the intake manifold gaskets on my 84 and am going to flush and refill the coolant, replace the theromstat etc. and want to put it on jack stands to get good clearance.
I bought a shop manual and looked to see where the jacking points are and it shows the four service lift points and also indicates the front cross member as the location for a floor jack, but I don't see any place indicated for using a floor jack on the rear -is there a safe place to use a floor jack on the rear?

Unless you are able to find the old jack adapter they use to make called "Jack-A-Vette" you are going to have to jack from the sides. The adapter is not made any more and tough to find. I was fortunate enough to find this adapter on Ebay a while back. It's a very narrow blade that goes on your jack and fits in between the exhaust pipes and contacts the center of the batwing.
Scrrem

Unless you are able to find the old jack adapter they use to make called "Jack-A-Vette" you are going to have to jack from the sides.
Scrrem
My other car is a 79 Z/28 and this is the first Corvette that I have owned. I'm used to jacking my Camaro, like most cars, from the front or the back.
I looked at another post and it had jacking instructions and now it makes sense -I couldn't understand why it only discussed jacking from the sides. So you jack up a side from either the front or back lift points indicatd in the shop manual -it doesn't matter if you use the front or the back location? Thanks!

I looked at another post and it had jacking instructions and now it makes sense -I couldn't understand why it only discussed jacking from the sides. So you jack up a side from either the front or back lift points indicatd in the shop manual -it doesn't matter if you use the front or the back location? Thanks!

check these out: How to Jack Up a ZR-1, Jacking the Car Up.

heres a something that kinda does the same thing as the jack a vette
The Corvette GadgetMan: All
i thought ity was a little to much for a chunk of steel i made one for 10.00 put the point is it works greast on the rear and its faster than jacking all 4 sides

I'm not sure on the layout of the exhuast pipes on and 84 however I use what is called a junior "I" beam fits between the exhaust pipes and centers on the rear end. Lifts it right up. It is about 10 inches long 3 inches high. Should be able to find these at a machine shop or fabrication shop. They could also make one for, or get some plate steel and weld up one for yourself.

If your really interested send me a PM I may have another piece laying around.

tcxd40

I used a marker to put hash marks on the frame rail at the bottom of the roll pan around the center on each side. The hash marks are to avoid the fuel and brake line clamps. I put a 2X4 block on my floor jack and jack it from the center of the frame rail on each side. Be sure to jack from the frame rail only; don't put it far enough under to catch the floor pan. I also use SUV jack stands cuz you can get the car higher. Jack once from each side, it's on jack stands in less than 5 min.

Thanks for the update. I looked and now understand that I can get a piece of steel to sit on the floor jack and go between the exhaust. Thanks again!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom