Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Rear Lights............

coptertom

Corvette
1972 and 2014 C7
Hey Guys sure do need some expert help and advice,

I decided to replace all the exterior light bulbs in the vette and of course found a couple of problems that I can't figure out.

When the headlights are off, my breaklights, turn signals and reverse lights on the rear of the vette work fine.

When I turn the headlights on.......the problem begins:

1) The left brake light will not work (right side works)
2) The left Turn signal will not work (right side works)
3) The left reverse light not working (righ side works)

Was hoping that I could get a little help and direction before I begin pulling out what's left of my hair. I've checked the wiring for breaks etc, but then again............I'm not much of an electrician!

Very interesting question!

Does your normal left taillight work when the headlights are on? And if so, does it pulsate (taillight, off, taillight, off) like it normally would do (taillight, turnsignal, taillight, turnsignal)?

As far as I know all the three (taillight, turnsignal and brakelight) come together in one signal box. (where the turnsignal "merges" with the other signals). At first I would think this was the problem. But your backup lights go around this box so I don't think that is the problem.

I'll think about it a little more :)

Groeten Peter

:w Tom,

I would check the ground connection for the Left Side Lights, ground for both tail light (L & R).

With the head lights off, they all work, but with the Head Lights on you say the Left Side don't work, that could mean a bad ground. With the headlights on the system is exposed to more current and resistance (bad ground) could cause the issue..

How did the light sockets look, are they corroded or rusted?

Electrical problems are not much fun and can be very frustrating to track down, a lot of problems in our older cars are do to corrosion, rust loose or broken connections and of course "Bubba"

Good Luck

Bud

Hey Groeten and Bud,

Thanks for your help. After a couple of hours working on trying to figure it out, decided to take a mental break and take the wife to the movies. Gave it another try and decided to replace the two rear brake light sockets. Guess it was a lucky guess.........breaklights, turn signals and back up lights are working; both with the headlights on and off. While I was at it I checked for a bad ground. One of the wires connected to the right light socket was broken.

Vette has been sitting in the garage for a while so decided to finally get it cleaned up and drive it around a bit. Next project will be trying to fix the gas fumes and door locks.

Tom T

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom