Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear main seal

• Thread starter Thread starter nrangerZR-1
  • Start date Start date
N

nrangerZR-1

Well, my local Chevy dealer just broke the bad news to me...i have a leaking rear main seal. The labor appears to be a bear on this job - bringing the total repair cost upwards of $1,600 - $1,800. Is this reasonable? I've got a 1991 ZR-1 with 37K on the odometer. Just wanted to get an opinion on cost before I sink that kind of cash into her.

You'll get more responses if you post this in the ZR-1 section. (One of the Mod's or Admin's could move it for you)

I'd get a second opinion before believing the stealership

there are a few members from Florida here. I'm sure they could point you in the direction of a reliable mechanic down there.

welcome to the :CAC

I think that sounds high. A local Chevy dealer quoted me $847 here in Georgia. I have an automatic, that is why the price is so high. If it was a 6spd, it would be around $580. Shop around.

Not sure where you are located in Florida but I get work done on my 87 from AdvanceAutocc on the forum. He is a shop owner as well as a vette owner. You may want to pm him and he could give you an idea. Or if he sees this post he might chime in :D

thanks guys. I'll see if this post can be moved to the ZR-1 section.

I am in the Ocala area. If anyone knows of a reputable mechanic that can shave some costs of this work, i would appreciate the referral. I also found out later today that the oil pan gasket must be replaced as well. Still seems like a excessive amount of cash.

Thanks Bob.

I notice you are located in Norcross...i am from there. Me and my family have been in central Florida for a couple of years now. Spent my high school teenage years (early 80's) crusing around Norcross and Lilburn...trying to stay out of trouble.

nrangerZR-1 said:
Thanks Bob.

I notice you are located in Norcross...i am from there. Me and my family have been in central Florida for a couple of years now. Spent my high school teenage years (early 80's) crusing around Norcross and Lilburn...trying to stay out of trouble.

Been here for about 13 years. Nice little city. Next time you come up this way let us know. The SE contingent is always looking for an excuse to drink, I mean get together. ;)

I'm doing the rear main seal on my C3 as we speak. Fortunately mine is a two piece and fairly uncomplicated. That and a new oil pump will be under $150.

YOu have to drop the oil pan to get at the rear main and the trans .
I would pull the motor it would not be poss to do in the car.
One piece seal needs a special tool to install the seal no fun.:W

redc4corvette said:
YOu have to drop the oil pan to get at the rear main and the trans .
I would pull the motor it would not be poss to do in the car.
One piece seal needs a special tool to install the seal no fun.:W

You do realize we are talking LT5 here, and that the block is a two piece design, and the rear seal never comes in contact with anything to do with the oil pan???

This can be done in car, but yes the transmission needs to be removed.

Thanks a lot. I will contact them later today to discuss.

Yes, you simply remove the trans, clutch & flywheel to gain access to the seal. Unbolt the plate that holds it against the block, replace the gasket & seal and button it up.

Jeffvette said:
Call Aaron at SGC, may well be worth the drive.

229-226-4447

definitely give aaron a call. you are close enough to him that he could take care of it for you. you might think about upgrading the flywheel to a fidanza and stronger clutch while you are in there.

he will treat you right, tell him ron said hi!!!

rkreigh said:
definitely give aaron a call. you are close enough to him that he could take care of it for you. you might think about upgrading the flywheel to a fidanza and stronger clutch while you are in there.

he will treat you right, tell him ron said hi!!!

Good morning - I spoke to Aaron last week and he was extremely helpful. He talked me through the problem and made a couple of additional recomendations that we could do while the car is torn down, i.e. new clutch, new performance shifter, etc. thanks again for the recomendation. He is only a few hours away and will be well worth the drive. When i schedule the work i will pass your hello along to him.

Pull the trans out...the oil pan does not have to be removed...Swap in a new gasket, and a new seal for $40.00 in parts...The rest is all labor! So that quote is crazy for removing a tranny....Let me know if I can be of more assitance! As a matter of fact....I could do the job for you while you wait!

Mike

EES, Inc.
EES, Forums.

Dont forget 1.5mm clearance seal to housing and MS4 grease in double lip.housing to block gasket is pricey but dont take short cuts. Some seals come with grease.If you remove sump remove baffel and pickup to do a proper clean.make sure they use a new viton o ring pickup to block and the correct Locktite sealer on the bolt holding the pickup.You canuse same sealer to seal thread on all bolts as well as locktite to make it completely leak free.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom