Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Shock confusion.

femurphy77

Corvette
1992 Coupe
I bought a set of shocks from TPIS a few weeks ago, went out to install them the past weekend and when I moved to the rear I noticed the shocks on the car use a different upper mount than the new shocks. The new shocks are a single upright stud, the old shocks appear to have a flat plate at the top with two bolts that run into the frame. I called TPIS and their response is it must be some kind of adapter plate. Not real convincing in the conversation. So what gives. Do I have a wierdo, is it some kind of adapter or should I have stopped after the third beer? I just don't won't to go to the trouble of getting under the car and removing the old shocks to find out I have the wrong ones. TIA, FM, Indy

Nothing to worry about. If you remove the two bolts the plate should come out with the shock. Install the plate on your new shock (aproximately the same distance down) and install the shock. You want to compress the rubber bushing at the top of the shock about the same as it was before. It may be easier to remove both shocks and mount the plates one at a time, to check the compression of the bushing.

Side note you did check the box they came in well, right? Your new shocks should have come with a new bushing, my new Bilsteins did. Also had instructions in 15 languages showing the 15 different upper mount types. Seems like the C4 was figure 3 .... cant remember.

:w

Hrtbeat1 said:
Nothing to worry about. If you remove the two bolts the plate should come out with the shock. Install the plate on your new shock (aproximately the same distance down) and install the shock. You want to compress the rubber bushing at the top of the shock about the same as it was before. It may be easier to remove both shocks and mount the plates one at a time, to check the compression of the bushing.

Side note you did check the box they came in well, right? Your new shocks should have come with a new bushing, my new Bilsteins did. Also had instructions in 15 languages showing the 15 different upper mount types. Seems like the C4 was figure 3 .... cant remember.

:w
Yep, exactly what he said. It's also a good idea to spray both of the mounting bolts on top with liberal amounts of liquid wrench or the like before attempting to remove them. You don't want to twist and snap one of those suckers off

Thanks guys, exactly as you stated. After applying some liquid wrench they came right off. Thanks again.

femurphy77, do you have the fx3 shocks? if so, was there enough slack in the actuator wire for the shock to come down some or did you have to disconect it for the shock to come down at all?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom