Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rear speakers

80VetteL82

Corvette
1980 L82 Black/Red
Hey guys, Im trying to find blueprints for a rear speaker box. I had seen the blueprints for a specific box that fit in perfectly right behind the wheel well humps, but i cant find it now. Has anybody seen this? Im going to be building a box to put my speakers in, and wanted to use this as a reference.
Thanks for any help,
80Vettel82 :W

Take a look HERE ;) and see if this is what you're looking for ;)

Bud

yah something like that, but I need to build the box going all the way across because I also have 2 10" subs. I have them in the car now in the middle of the trunk space in a regular box, but I want something that takes up less space and is more integrated. Yours look real good.

ooo... good luck getting 10" subs properly mounted. I bought some 10" Kicker solo's for my 68, but just couldn't get the box designed right to fit the rear. I ended up having to go with 8" Kicker Solo's. I don't know what all you want in your box, but you may end up having to lay them flat.

I'm attaching a pic of my box to show what I ended up with. I designed and built it myself. It totally sucks up the rear end, but I do have some kick butt sound. The system cranks out 2000 watts.

looks good man. I think I should be alright though because of the bubble rear window, that gives me more room to play around with.

yah....this is what it looks like currently:
<P>
45642a5d.jpg

<P>
But I want to make something that saves room, and is more integrated.

They look nice, but they are covering your compartment doors. Looks heavy to lift if you need to get into them. I'm assuming thats why you want to scale it down?

Have you considered a box that uses compression? The internal chambers are a little more complex to build, but the air movement and tone is awesome. I built one for an old Eclipse and I could walk a dime on the roof top. What was interesting was that the Eclipse was very sound tight, so not a lot of bass was heard from the outside.

They look nice, but they are covering your compartment doors. Looks heavy to lift if you need to get into them. I'm assuming thats why you want to scale it down?

Have you considered a box that uses compression? The internal chambers are a little more complex to build, but the air movement and tone is awesome. I built one for an old Eclipse and I could walk a dime on the roof top. What was interesting was that the Eclipse was very sound tight, so not a lot of bass was heard from the outside.

Yah in the picture they are covering the compartments, but the box can slide far enough back as to where it doesnt block them. Its not very heavy. I do want to scale it down the, and make something integrated with the interior. The current box was made to drop straight down into the back of my F-Body Camaro. No Im not to familiar with compression boxes, sounds pretty good though.

80vetteL82:W

A compression box design is basically where the woofer is totally enclosed within the box. The back of the speaker is enclosed in its on sealed chamber, and the front of the speaker is exposed to an air chamber. The air chamber is designed to gradually get smaller prior an exit vent. Usually the exit vent is only about 2-3 in height and typically an inch or so wider then the size of the woofer your using. I used egg crate foam on some of the angles inside the chamber to aid in dampening any reverberation that could possibly be generated. What you end up with is a box that hits bass, and hits it hard with no reverberation and great tone. There is one thing I can't stand are people that have systems you hear from a mile away... its not sound... it simple noise and vibration. That's not what bass is for. I have this one song I play in my vette that make the young girls squeel and the older ladies blush! If you can do that with your system... you've done it right! hehe!

Take a look HERE ;) and see if this is what you're looking for ;)

Bud

I made a set of these for my 81 coupe. If you mount them right, you can use the factory mounting brackets, which firm things up a bit. With a box made of craftwood, the bass comes on really nice.
Of course, you can only mount to factory mount points if your vette has them!

I have fabric over them, but the Wife and Sister were handy over the last couple of days and made some vinyl b/w checkers to cover them.
Should look sweet.

Cheers
Tony

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom