Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Spoiler-Stock or dealer

Randys88Vette

Corvette
1988 Coupe
Hey everyone,
I bought my 88 Vette about a year ago. So far, I have been able to determine that I am the third owner of the car, and bought it with 82K miles on it and in very good condition.
On the rear of the car is a spoiler that I cannot seem to place. I had heard or read some time ago that some dealers had front and rear spoilers that came from GM and they installed them on some cars. From looking at the service parts identification tag on the underside of the console door lid, there is no RPO code (D81) for it there. So, I am thinking it may have been done by the original dealer.

Does anyone know of a way to find this out? Since it wasnt installed at the factory, the build sheet isnt going to show it as part of the car. Or, is there even a way to find the original dealer that it was shipped to? I am kind of curious about this as I have not seen any other type of spoiler similar to this one, nor can I find any mention now of the front or rear spoilers that were dealer options back then. Anyone help on this??

Here is a pic of the rear of the car and the spoiler. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Gang!!! :D :w

No spoiler was offered by the factory for the 1988 Corvette.

yep. there hasn't been a factory spoiler since 82 correct? well, one molded into the rear bumper....

I can't tell from the picture, but is that a Greenwood spoiler?

Vettefan87 said:
I can't tell from the picture, but is that a Greenwood spoiler?

It sure does look like a Greenwood spoiler doesn't it? A Greenwood spoiler usually has the logo on the outside though.

That spoiler is well done, the low riding spoilers look good on a C4, IMO.

Found info

Ok... I found out where I had read about the dealer offered spoilers. It was in the "101 Projects for your Corvette 1984-1996" by Richard Newton, pgs 189-192.
I knew I had seen and read abut it somewhere and now I figured out where. The rear spoiler on the car is obviously not the GM style ones that the dealers installed as options.
I am still searching to seee if I can find out for sure where it came from. It does resemble a Greenwood style wing, and it is VERY nicely attached to the car and color matches perfectly (with the fade and all). Makes me believe it may have been installed by a dealer.

I will keep looking and researching!!! :upthumbs :beer :v

I think the dealer installed the GTO kits....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom