Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear spring links

B

b2758

Rear spring links need replacing. Any words of wisdom on how to relieve tension on spring to install new ones. :beer

Do you mean the leaf spring? I used a floor Jack in the past. Just do one side at a time and take your time, you'll be fine.

Thats kinda what I had in mind. Jack the car up from the center and put another jack near end of spring to take pressure off ? I got a lot of respect for spring tension , thats why I asked. Thanks !:beer

Thats kinda what I had in mind. Jack the car up from the center and put another jack near end of spring to take pressure off ? I got a lot of respect for spring tension , thats why I asked. Thanks !:beer
For safety, it's OK to jack the car up from the center but you want to have jack stands under the frame before you start work on the spring. Once you have the frame supported, you can start the spring removal process.

The Service Manual recommends a clamp on the spring but I use a large Visegrip butted up against the end of the second or third largest leaf. The spring is reasonably flat when it's under tension but bows quite a bit once you detach the end. Here's a picture from the manual.
SpringRemoval-resized.jpg

Once the spring tension is removed, you can pull the cotter pin and remove the castellated nut. Slowly release your jack and the spring will lower until tension is gone. Final step is to remove the four bolts holding the spring to the differential cover.

Several experts have suggested snugging the spring mounting bracket with the four bolts, connecting the new spring ends with the bolts and lowering the car onto ramps or blocks (not concrete blocks) and when the full weight is on the tires, tighten those four bolts to specification (my 72 manual calls for 70 ft-lbs).

I have used the jack method before but never again after watching my vette jump up in the air when the jack slipped. If it was on jack stands the car would have fallen on the ground. Instead it was on a Kwik lift and 18x24" blocks. I now use a 5' bar under the spring end and over the strut rod then I put a pipe over that and have a helper lift up while I loosen the bolt nut. Works great, no damage or injury, just have enough leverage and you're ok. I've even done it by myself but the helper is a better way to go.

I have noticed on my Vettes with original gymkhana springs(that don't have the big arch like standard springs)that when it's up on jack stands and the suspension is hanging there is NO tension on the spring bolts.
I actually had to push DOWN on the spring ends to get the bolts out because of the angle when things are hanging.

If I remember, with the new cushions, I did have to push up on the ends a bit to get things back together. But just a nudge.

Thanks for the help guys... Oh and I never get under a car without jack stands .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom