Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Rear spring rates on an 81

macx

Corvette
When I took my diff out to rebuild it, the spring clamp part (not the bracket on the diff) on the single leaf fiberglass spring fell into pieces and I can't find just that part anywhere without buying a whole new spring.

Actually, that probly wouldn't be a bad idea, anyway, with that probly being the original spring and very possibly sagged a little.

My question is what rate should I get? I'll be carrying somewhat of a load of luggage from time to time, and maybe even pulling a small trailer with a good sized (BMW) bike on it so want a sufficient rear spring to do that without significant sag, but don't want a buckboard ride, either, for when I'm not hauling or towing.

I've looked and there are many different rates available. I forget what the stock rate is, but I'm thinking maybe just 1 step up from that? With a new spring that hasn't aged and maybe sagged, does that sound like it should take care of it?

Thanks!

OH, where's a good place to get one - I've got links to many Vette catalogues with all kinds of brands and prices, but I don't know much about them, which are good and which maybe not so good.

Mac

Administrator
Corvette
1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
OH, where's a good place to get one - I've got links to many Vette catalogues with all kinds of brands and prices, but I don't know much about them, which are good and which maybe not so good.

For suspension stuff, most of the companies have decent stuff. A good friend redid his suspension using products from Vette Brakes & Products and was very happy with the quality.

Vette Brakes and Products | High Performance Corvette Parts, Brakes & now with Raybestos brake & chassis | Car, Vbp, Performanc

-Mac

macx

Corvette
Thanks.

I haven't researched any of this stuff for a couple years, been too busy working away from home, but aren't they the ones with the improved
brake caliper / rear hub assemblies?

I think I remember I had kind of figured on them for those parts.

Mac

Administrator
Corvette
1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
They offer everything from stock replacement right through to full road-race ready.

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom