Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Rear spring rates on an 81

macx

Corvette
When I took my diff out to rebuild it, the spring clamp part (not the bracket on the diff) on the single leaf fiberglass spring fell into pieces and I can't find just that part anywhere without buying a whole new spring.

Actually, that probly wouldn't be a bad idea, anyway, with that probly being the original spring and very possibly sagged a little.

My question is what rate should I get? I'll be carrying somewhat of a load of luggage from time to time, and maybe even pulling a small trailer with a good sized (BMW) bike on it so want a sufficient rear spring to do that without significant sag, but don't want a buckboard ride, either, for when I'm not hauling or towing.

I've looked and there are many different rates available. I forget what the stock rate is, but I'm thinking maybe just 1 step up from that? With a new spring that hasn't aged and maybe sagged, does that sound like it should take care of it?

Thanks!

OH, where's a good place to get one - I've got links to many Vette catalogues with all kinds of brands and prices, but I don't know much about them, which are good and which maybe not so good.

OH, where's a good place to get one - I've got links to many Vette catalogues with all kinds of brands and prices, but I don't know much about them, which are good and which maybe not so good.

For suspension stuff, most of the companies have decent stuff. A good friend redid his suspension using products from Vette Brakes & Products and was very happy with the quality.

Vette Brakes and Products | High Performance Corvette Parts, Brakes & now with Raybestos brake & chassis | Car, Vbp, Performanc

-Mac

Thanks.

I haven't researched any of this stuff for a couple years, been too busy working away from home, but aren't they the ones with the improved
brake caliper / rear hub assemblies?

I think I remember I had kind of figured on them for those parts.

They offer everything from stock replacement right through to full road-race ready.

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom