Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Squeak when wet

joesroad

Corvette
1988 Bright red Coupe
Ran into some pretty heavy rain last week and after I could hear a sqeaking noise coming from the right rear of the 88 coupe. It went away after a few miles so i didnt think much of it unitll it happed again today after spraying off the underside of her. Made the noise for a few miles and then stops. Anyone else ever have this problem?
:w
Save the wave!!!

What kind of squeak? Is it regular, does it speed up and slow down with the cars speed. Need a little more info in order to help.

Yes does it speed up and slow down with the cars speed. Kinda a high piched squeaking noise. It continues to make the noise when I apply the brakes. But stops all together after a few miles of driving.

Is there not brake wear indicators on the rear? I am assuming their disc. That's what I would check first.

Yes, I've ran into this,Not really a Problem but annoying!!Ran into allot on c2's and c3's allot in my life time!! There just a little run out in your rotors!!! Probly not even enough that you can feel in the brake peddle!!!! The pads are just barely jiggling in calipers and this makes the squeak!!! It may need pads or may not!!!! Cure: Remove and clean pads and apply Break Quiet to rear of pads allow to dry and reinstall pads!!!! Break Quiet can be purchased at Napa,and comes in a 14 oz. spray can!!!! There is other brands out there too,that work equally as well!!! (Apply liberally where there is Metal to Metal contact with calipers!!)

:upthumbs
junk!!

It sounds as if the Ujoints at the half shafts are getting dry.

It sounds as if the Ujoints at the half shafts are getting dry.

I agree with grapknutz, it is something to consider/check out. The only desenting factor is it only happens when it gets wet, which doesn't jive with the U-joints theory. If it were the U-joints, I'd think it would be happening all the time. Hopefully it will only be the slight runout like junkie talks about and his fix would be much easier to perform.......and cheaper.

I agree with grapknutz, it is something to consider/check out. The only desenting factor is it only happens when it gets wet, which doesn't jive with the U-joints theory. If it were the U-joints, I'd think it would be happening all the time. Hopefully it will only be the slight runout like junkie talks about and his fix would be much easier to perform.......and cheaper.
When they get wet it washes the brake and road dust out which is actually Lubricating the metal suffices on the back side of the pad!! My C5 dose it every time I wash it!! I hose the Crap out of the Calipers and scrub them with a Brush through the wheel with Joy!! No Harsh Chemicals!!!! Not for long,maybe a Mile or Two,I know what it is,No Biggie,I just don't worry about it!!!:upthumbs

junk!!

When they get wet it washes the brake and road dust out which is actually Lubricating the metal suffices on the back side of the pad!! My C5 dose it every time I wash it!! I hose the Crap out of the Calipers and scrub them with a Brush through the wheel with Joy!! No Harsh Chemicals!!!! Not for long,maybe a Mile or Two,I know what it is,No Biggie,I just don't worry about it!!!:upthumbs

junk!!
I have that problem when I get wet...its called old age!!!!

I have that problem when I get wet...its called old age!!!!
OK Grape,your Only as Old as you want to feel!!

Cure : Feel something Young!!!!!!!! :upthumbs ;LOL ;LOL

Note : (18-26)

:D junk!!

Has fairly new disc all around, I think I'll try Junkies suggestion withe the spray from napa. Hope it works this can be qiute annoying. Thanks for all the feedback. I'll post the outcome.
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom