Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

REAR SQUEAL

GULFTANGO

Corvette
1997 FAIRWAY GREEN
I have a 97, had new tires, put on and shocks if needed, dealer claimed the shocks are fine, two weeks later a squeal started, sounds like a rat in a cage, makes the noise on smooth roads at any speed, it does not happen all the time, Hitting a bump or pot hole does not change the sound or cause the sound. the ride is smooth. If I push down on the left rear luggage compartment floor I can make the sound. Any ideas?

There's a lot of things that can squeal. Suspension bushings come to mind. Try spraying some water on the suspension and see if it stops while it's wet.
Have someone else push on the luggage compartment while you climb underneath to have a look-n-listen.
I have seen the shields over the mufflers pop the rivets loose, but that's more of a rattling buzz. But who knows? The plate could make a squeel if it's contacting the top of the muffler. And that's right where the luggage compartment is.

I had a similar problem, and it didn't start until quite some time after replacing my rear shocks. It turns out that one side was missing a washer on the upper shock mount bushing.

Thanks, will make the dealer appointment today, let them figure it out. I think you are on the right track.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom