Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear tire has a wiggle....

H

hdcwagsvette

I noticed that my rear tire seemed to be leaning inward on the top (toe in) When I jacked up the car it turns out the rear wheel could be moved top to bottom and left to right. Tried to tighten the lug nuts more but that was not the problem. Do you think the rear axle bearing needs to be replaced or is there something more to it? ;shrug No more wiggle...replaced the bearing, thanks a lot guys.

The top to bottom wiggle is wheel bearings. Side to side might still be bearings, but might also be toe rod bushings.

I noticed that my rear tire seemed to be leaning inward on the top (toe in) When I jacked up the car it turns out the rear wheel could be moved top to bottom and left to right. Tried to tighten the lug nuts more but that was not the problem. Do you think the rear axle bearing needs to be replaced or is there something more to it? ;shrug

Sorry to say, but your rear wheel is not toe in due to the problem. What you have is a negative camber angle, due the problem.

Toe:
Toe is a measurement of how much the front and/or rear wheels are turned in or out from a straight-ahead position. When the wheels are turned in, toe is positive (+). When the wheels are turned out, toe is negative (-). The actual amount of toe is normally only a fraction of a degree. The purpose of toe is to ensure that the wheels roll parallel. Toe also serves to offset the small deflections of the wheel support system that occur when the vehicle is rolling forward. In other words, with the vehicle standing still and the wheels set with toe-in, the wheels tend to roll parallel on the road when the vehicle is moving. Improper toe adjustment will cause premature tire wear and cause steering instability.

Camber:
Camber is the tilting of the wheels from the vertical when viewed from the front of the vehicle. When the wheels tilt outward at the top, the camber is positive (+). When the wheel tilts inward at the top, the camber is negative (-). The amount of tilt is measured in degrees from the vertical. Camber settings influence the directional control and the tire wear.
Too much positive camber will result in premature wear on the outside of the tire and cause excessive wear on the suspension parts.
Too much negative camber will result in premature wear on the inside of the tire and cause excessive wear on the suspension parts.
Unequal side-to-side camber of 1° or more will cause the vehicle to pull or lead to the side with the most positive camber.

A good start would be to check the wheel bearings. Good luck with getting your problem corrected.

I noticed that my rear tire seemed to be leaning inward on the top (toe in) When I jacked up the car it turns out the rear wheel could be moved top to bottom and left to right. Tried to tighten the lug nuts more but that was not the problem. Do you think the rear axle bearing needs to be replaced or is there something more to it? ;shrug
You need a wheel baring!!! And Soon!!!!!:upthumbs

Sorry to say, but your rear wheel is not toe in due to the problem. What you have is a negative camber angle, due the problem.

Toe:
Toe is a measurement of how much the front and/or rear wheels are turned in or out from a straight-ahead position. When the wheels are turned in, toe is positive (+). When the wheels are turned out, toe is negative (-). The actual amount of toe is normally only a fraction of a degree. The purpose of toe is to ensure that the wheels roll parallel. Toe also serves to offset the small deflections of the wheel support system that occur when the vehicle is rolling forward. In other words, with the vehicle standing still and the wheels set with toe-in, the wheels tend to roll parallel on the road when the vehicle is moving. Improper toe adjustment will cause premature tire wear and cause steering instability.

Camber:
Camber is the tilting of the wheels from the vertical when viewed from the front of the vehicle. When the wheels tilt outward at the top, the camber is positive (+). When the wheel tilts inward at the top, the camber is negative (-). The amount of tilt is measured in degrees from the vertical. Camber settings influence the directional control and the tire wear.
Too much positive camber will result in premature wear on the outside of the tire and cause excessive wear on the suspension parts.
Too much negative camber will result in premature wear on the inside of the tire and cause excessive wear on the suspension parts.
Unequal side-to-side camber of 1° or more will cause the vehicle to pull or lead to the side with the most positive camber.

A good start would be to check the wheel bearings. Good luck with getting your problem corrected.
Alrighty then....thanks for the lesson.

You need a wheel baring!!! And Soon!!!!!:upthumbs

anything to do with a bar, i'm in :D...you should change that rear bearing assy so the car won't weave on the way and cause a leo to grab you for dui...unless your last name is ''hilton'', then don't bother.

Replaced the rear bearing and all is well. Thanks guys

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom