Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Tires, Is it just me?

SANOLS1

Corvette
2004 Millenium Yellow Coupe
I just put new rear tires on my 2004 A4 with only 15K miles on it. The center of the tires was nearly worn flat while the outboard sides were just about to the wear indicators. I've never done a burnout :lou and only had the car sideways twice. The front tires look like they are nearly new. The car had 44 miles on it when I bought it new. Maybe someone roasted them off on a test drive before I bought it or possibly some Valet had some fun when I wasn't looking. :W The shop where I had them replaced told me it was common for Vette's to go through two sets of rears to one set of fronts. Is this true?
Coments anyone? Please.

My 02 has 23k and the rears are shot (a couple of burnouts on them though). My fronts have another 15k left in them. The rears are worn exactly as you describe, with flat centers and right on the wear bars on the edges.

I'm not going to get the same tires (getting non-runflats) when I replace them, but in the meantime, I don't want different fronts and rears (looks like crap). I also hate to buy 4 tires when I only need 2. So.... as soon as Christmas comes and goes I'm looking to find some OEM rear tires with another 15k worth of tread on them at a decent price, and then buy all 4 new when the time comes.

Hi SANOLS1 -

I would bet the tires were over-inflated.

I run less than what the factory specifies in an attempt to get the whole tire on the ground evenly.

A good friend of me told me to do this after I noticed my 305 pirelli's were wearing in the middle of the tread.

Soften them up some and see if that helps -

best regards -

mqqn

SANOLS1 said:
I just put new rear tires on my 2004 A4 with only 15K miles on it. The center of the tires was nearly worn flat while the outboard sides were just about to the wear indicators. I've never done a burnout :lou and only had the car sideways twice. The front tires look like they are nearly new. The car had 44 miles on it when I bought it new. Maybe someone roasted them off on a test drive before I bought it or possibly some Valet had some fun when I wasn't looking. :W The shop where I had them replaced told me it was common for Vette's to go through two sets of rears to one set of fronts. Is this true?
Coments anyone? Please.

I agree with the over inflation... if they are wearing in the middle, you have too much air in them.

The other problem is run-flats suck. My dad has a '98 that he drives very easy... the rears wore out first (20k miles). We replaced with regular Goodyear F1 non-runflats and the wear is far better as well as the ride and performance.

How much air are you guys talking? I run 30-32 pounds on all 4 corners.

cerberus said:
How much air are you guys talking? I run 30-32 pounds on all 4 corners.

Hi cerberus -

I run 26.5 in the rear tires on my Z - but they are wider than stock (305's).

best regards -

mqqn

I guess I'm just lucky. My tires just won't wear out - so I will replace this spring anyway. I have plenty of tread on both front and rear. 22K miles.
I have done some burn-outs hehehe.

I run 30 psi all around.

That being said, My rears have lasted no more than 20K miles. Fronts lasted until the high 30s. (I have 70K+ on my daily driver.)

I used the OEM runcraps until they wore out. At least I got my $$$ out of the things. Will never go back to those damn tires! :ugh

I have Firestone 21K and all 4 are wearing the same at 30 to 31 lb's. I can not say that for Goodyear tires where at 19K the front were cupped and just an over all crappy drive. I would love to go to non run flats,but there are to many what if's.
Actually I'am thinking of going to the better Goodyear tire, one better than OEM. I like the 200 mile run flat part of the deal rather than Firestone 50 miles. If not run flats only option is a tow truck or fix on the road. no thanks.

What pressure are you running in the Z06? I have the same wheels and tires on my 2000 hardtop. There 295 rears and 265 fronts, there new f1 supercar non- run flats the dealer said 30lbs thanks Dr C5

6 Shooter said:
I run right at 30 also, wear is even and it gives ya a bit smoother ride too.
I watch My tires constantly!! I noticed in the First 1000 mi a weird wear pattern,and had it aligned and later aligned myself and let rear tire's down to 27 lb and front to 29 lb!! 26,573 mi I've still got Rubber left!! maybe 4,000 mi. on rear, 10,000 on front!! With allot of Rocket Rides and Curvy Mountain rd.'s. But I'm gonna put new rubber Monday and Soap up the orig. and put them up!! Santa sent me some Kumho Ecsta ASX's, UPS dropped them off yesterday at 5:15 :cry or th eyed already be on!! :upthumbs junk!!

jrose7004 said:
I run 30psi cold all the way around but I have more trouble with the inside of the front tires cupping!
Tow it in more just a Tad it will Help! But it prob has Neg. camber !! This is the way I set mine up,Lt.Ft. 0 cam. 6 deg + caster,Rt. Ft. 0 cam.,6.50 deg.+ caster, 1/32 tow in. Rear Rt.& Lt 0 camber 1/32 tow out, bearly off to left!! Stop's the Bump Steer on mine!! But no 2 car's are alike!! :cool junk!!

Vettelt193 said:
I agree with the over inflation... if they are wearing in the middle, you have too much air in them.
Even my '01 Wrangler w/ 33" Mickey Thompsons are doing this on the rear. Any connection to the Vette tires? Who knows, but I run the Mickey Thompsons in the mid 30s. With 18k, the extra wear in the center is clear. However, the tires do state that mid 30s is proper inflation pressure. The moral to this story is, as my grandmother would say, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!" Or was that the moral to the story about why she wouldn't buy me the '06 Corvette?

I would say it all depends on how you drive.
That being said, I guess I drive too agressively. Too many high speed accelerations and low speed too for that matter.
My EMT's on the rear are gone at 16,000 miles, and a lot more worn on the inner tread than the outsides. I still have 1/4" of tread on the outsides. I think it has to do with the stiffer sidewalls and the more compliant inside. My inflation has always been 29-30 Lbs. and no more than that.
I am looking forward to getting some Kuhmo's this spring.

jrose7004 said:
I run 30psi cold all the way around but I have more trouble with the inside of the front tires cupping!
take the negative camber out of the front end and the cupping will not happen.

wishuwerehere82 said:
Hey, Kuhmos all the way! I've had 'em on my Vette since I purchased it. I have been very pleased with them. No cupping, excessive wear, or disappointments there.

wishuwerehere82 said:
Pete, Put my Kumho's on today!!! WOW!!! what happen to the Rumble? They are Smooth!! I think you have a neg. camber problem and towed out to much!! I got the ASX's all season 420 T/W as opposed to MX's 320 T/W. They Bite Good and are as responsive as the G/Y RunCrap's!! Bring your car down sometime and We'll String it Up!! :upthumbs junk!!

gmjunkie said:
Pete, Put my Kumho's on today!!! WOW!!! what happen to the Rumble? They are Smooth!! I think you have a neg. camber problem and towed out to much!! I got the ASX's all season 420 T/W as opposed to MX's 320 T/W. They Bite Good and are as responsive as the G/Y RunCrap's!! Bring your car down sometime and We'll String it Up!! :upthumbs junk!!
Road trip!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom