Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Rear Tires Wobble??

purpleomega

Corvette
1976 L-48
Can't figure out why my back tires wobble, the driver side more so than the passenger side. The wheels are balanced, the brakes, rotors and calipers are new. I just replaced the rear end cover and rear spring because they broke and was hoping that might have had something to do with it, but I can still hear the driver's side squeal when I drive. It's a little less noisy than it was before the spring/cover install, but it's still there. When I put the car in the air and run it, you can see them wobble left and right.......any ideas?

Since you have the ability to put it in the air. I would check your wheel bearings and rotor runout to see if they are loose or out of true.
Wheel bearings in the rear are shimmed to get the clearances very tight. 0.002" - 0.004" total play in the bearings. It's not a job for amatures, as it requires special installation and dis-assembly tools to get the proper bearing clearances.
Remember that the brake rotors are mounted to the bearing spindle, so any error in installation of the rotors will be amplified as the wheel is mounted flat to the rotor hub.
Generally speaking, most mechanics are not familiar enough with rotor replacement on C3 Corvettes to do the job right. It is usually better to leave the rotors alone than to replace them. Too late now.

First step would be to get the wheels off the ground, and try to wiggle the tire in and out at the sides, and top to bottom. If it moves side to side and top to bottom, the wheel bearings are probably worn out.
If it moves only top to bottom, then the traling arm bushings and/or the top traling arm linkages are worn.

Since you have the ability to turn the wheels and observe the wheels and rotors in action, you should be able to see if there is an excessive amount of runout or wobble in the assembly. Then once stopped, check for looseness in the wheel bearings and traling arms.

One other possibilty is that the bearing spindles themselves could be worn or bent, which would cause a substantial wobble in the wheel. A squeel in the area would most likely be a seized or worn bearing that the spindle is turning inside the inner bearing race, so that will need to be checked out by someone that is experienced in Corvette rear bearings.

Since you have the ability to put it in the air. I would check your wheel bearings and rotor runout to see if they are loose or out of true.
Wheel bearings in the rear are shimmed to get the clearances very tight. 0.002" - 0.004" total play in the bearings. It's not a job for amatures, as it requires special installation and dis-assembly tools to get the proper bearing clearances.
Remember that the brake rotors are mounted to the bearing spindle, so any error in installation of the rotors will be amplified as the wheel is mounted flat to the rotor hub.
Generally speaking, most mechanics are not familiar enough with rotor replacement on C3 Corvettes to do the job right. It is usually better to leave the rotors alone than to replace them. Too late now.

First step would be to get the wheels off the ground, and try to wiggle the tire in and out at the sides, and top to bottom. If it moves side to side and top to bottom, the wheel bearings are probably worn out.
If it moves only top to bottom, then the traling arm bushings and/or the top traling arm linkages are worn.

Since you have the ability to turn the wheels and observe the wheels and rotors in action, you should be able to see if there is an excessive amount of runout or wobble in the assembly. Then once stopped, check for looseness in the wheel bearings and traling arms.

One other possibilty is that the bearing spindles themselves could be worn or bent, which would cause a substantial wobble in the wheel.

I agree with all of the above!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
PS It don't take a large pot hole to bend a rear axle shaft either!! :thumb

The squeal is definitely the brake pad hitting the rotor as it spins, the car sat for years so my first guess was bent shafts, but I don't know. It was a while ago when I checked, but I think I pulled on the tires and there was no play in any direction. Can I still drive the car to get it to someone?

There are three basic reasons why rear tires "wobble"
1) bent wheels
2) worn rear bearings
3) worn differential with excessive stub axle clearance
4) worn or bent axle shafts

All of these things can be checked with either measuring equipment or your eyes.

There is a possibility that the squeel from the brake pads is because of excessive rust from the rotors being ground into the pads..However the wobble would seem to me to be bearings. You have to have the weight off the wheel in order to check for play.. and that probably applies to checking the bushings also. I have never bent a spindle and in South Dakota I have been through my share and yours of ruts, dips and chuckholes in the road. If you can't diagnose the problem yourself then you most likely would not be able to repair it either. Drive it to a reputable shop that knows vettes, and stick around and watch. .... the sign that says if you watch they charge more per hour is just BS.. just my 2 cents.

So it would be ok to drive it somewhere? Definitely not rust on the rotors, the whole brake system was replaced, including new rotors. Can't decide if it's bearings or axles???

Yes, lugs are tight. It's not out of control, I drove it all last summer like this.....unfortunately that summer ended with a busted differential cover and leaf. Just worried about what else I could be screwing up by driving it like this?

I'm in New Haven and custom build them all the time. Contact me if you want and I'll give you some things to check on the car.

I grind all mating parts for the rear bearings to set them at 0015-002 max endplay. Just did a set on Sunday in fact.

Gary

Call me and I'll tell you how to check it at home. If you find you have bad bearings,IRS parts I can help you out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom