Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rear wheel alignment...

Roadster Guy

Corvette
1996 Roadster CE/LT4/F45
All my tires seem to be wearing evenly except my rear driver side tire. I just noticed it is quite worn and especially from the middle of the tread to the outside edge. Makes me think it might be alignment? Are the rear wheels aligned separately or as a pair? (I do monitor and keep the tire presure at 30 psi).

I occassionally do jump on the LT4 from a stop. Would one rear tire take more punishment than the other or would the anti slip average that out.

I bought my Vette about 6 years ago with these tires on it and they appeared quite new at the time and I have put about 18,000 street miles on them since. The tires are GY Eagle GS-C's and I find them loud by the way.
RG

The rear tires are aligned separately. You could have a spec off on the driver's side.

A good replacement tire from GY is the F1 GS D3. Very quiet and incredible handling in the wet. Also, very long wearing.

SAVE THE :w

If the center of the tire is wearing faster than the rest of the tire, I'd say the tire is over inflated.

FWIW, I put Michelin Pilot Sports on my Grand Sport. They were a huge improvement over the GS-C's she had when I bought her.

:thumb Jason

The rear tires are aligned separately. You could have a spec off on the driver's side.

A good replacement tire from GY is the F1 GS D3. Very quiet and incredible handling in the wet. Also, very long wearing.

Thanks LT4man. Both points noted!
RG

If the center of the tire is wearing faster than the rest of the tire, I'd say the tire is over inflated.

FWIW, I put Michelin Pilot Sports on my Grand Sport. They were a huge improvement over the GS-C's she had when I bought her.

It's not the center Jason. The wear on the tread is from the center to the outside edge. Thanks for for tire tip as well.
RG

RG: I've got the GS D3s as well. Very good tire. 29 psi around town works best for me with one person in the car. LT4man'll tell you that I've experimented with 34 psi on the highway and the ride and noise when hitting anything on the road (like expansion joints) makes you wince. Wear across the tread at 29 psi seems to be even too. I'd check the alignment on that LR.

It's not the center Jason. The wear on the tread is from the center to the outside edge. Thanks for for tire tip as well.
RG

So the center of the tire is less worn than the outsides huh? Under inflated then? Either way, you might want to take the car to your local tire shop.

Thanks for the feedback guys.:beer I'm going to hunt around for new tires this winter and then in the spring have them installed, balanced and a four wheel alingment done for sure. That rear driver side must be out of alignment and anyway, I would never put new tires on without them being aligned. Be nice to hit the road in the spring with new rubber.

The GY GS D3's get quite a few thumbs up around this forum as do the Michelin Pilot Sports. If you read the various tire threads that come up in Search some prefer BFGoodrich or Firstone or Bridgestone or Dunlop or Kumhos.

So something for me to research on cold winter nights while my 96 sleeps. I'm looking for a good quality tire for quiet touring that has the ability to grip when needed. Leaning towards the GY GS D3's or the Michelin Pilot Sports right now, but I was checking out the Bridgestone Expedia S-01's as well. I have Bridgestones on my wife's 325 BMW and they are a good tire dry or wet and are wearing well.

I get the impression the old Good Year Eagle GS-C's on her now were none too popular, or is it they were a good tire for their time, but tires are just better now.
RG

Had BFGoodrich's that tended to be slippery as hell on track day. Went with Firestone Firehawks; much more grip when hot. SportPilots will be next. I wouldn't trust a standard tire shop to do a rear end alignment. A race shop will do it right and give you a settings sheet with before and after alignment, camber and castr numbers. Even if you're not going to track it, a savy 4 wheel alignment makes a huge difference on the road!

Had BFGoodrich's that tended to be slippery as hell on track day. Went with Firestone Firehawks; much more grip when hot. SportPilots will be next. I wouldn't trust a standard tire shop to do a rear end alignment. A race shop will do it right and give you a settings sheet with before and after alignment, camber and castr numbers. Even if you're not going to track it, a savy 4 wheel alignment makes a huge difference on the road!

Thank's for the race shop tip :thumbregarding rear wheel alignment.Will definately follow that up.
RG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom