Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear wheel bearing info needed

Corvette
63 Resto Coupe-Red 65 Roadster
I have purchased a complete Dana 44 rear suspension ( used ), that I plan on installing on my SRIII Frame. I have just completed the dis-assembly, and noticed that the rear bearing assembly, look's as though it is non serviceable.

Am I correct in my assumptions, and if so, how does one figure out if the used unit is usable, or must one automatically replace these assemblies when doing a rebuild regardless of it's condition. ?

I really can't see myself completely assembling the vehicle including the rear suspension, only to find out at a later date that the bearing needs replacing

Thank you for the time you will take to address to my concerns.

Stepinwolf

You are correct they are Replaceable but not Serviceable!!! What do they feel like when you turn them?? Rough,Smooth,Sticky???? There not a bad job to change in the car!! If there still bolted to the Knuckle you can bolt them to a wheel and see if they have any Play in them!! If there smooth and Tight,Don't worry about them!! :upthumbs

Yes the rear wheel bearings are NON serviceable, so are the fronts. The only way I know to check them is to try and tilt the tire/wheel, top to bottom with the car, or at least that corner supported. With the rear end being not installed I don't know if this will work.

The AC Delco bearings have recently had a dramatic price increase, almost doubled the price. One option is to use BCA parts. With the BCA bearings the run about $170 ea for the front and $100 for the rear each.

:w

If there smooth and Tight,Don't worry about them!! :upthumbs

They are actually quite tight, and ( with some slight force ) they are smooth to turn. I can't feel any slop, or looseness in them.

H/beat, Who is " BCA "

Stepinwolf

They are actually quite tight, and ( with some slight force ) they are smooth to turn. I can't feel any slop, or looseness in them.

H/beat, Who is " BCA "

Stepinwolf
I wouldn't worry about them then!!!!! BCA is a Co. that makes Bearings and Suspension Parts for the Automotive Industry!! There Good Quality,even some of the manufactures use them!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom