Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear wheel bearings help please

Corvette
1996 LT4 Collector Edition
Well, it's time to replace the rear wheel bearings again (this will be the third set in two years!), and I'm beginning to question if I'm doing something wrong when installing them! In all fairness, I take the car to the track several times a year, which I understand can have a somewhat detrimental affect on bearings! ;)

I consider myself to be a fairly competent drive-way mechanic, and I have the FSM to work from. I searched for posts on replacing the bearings, and found a couple posts about making sure the splines are clean and using anti-seize compound on them. In the past I have just used high-temp disk-brake grease on the splines. Could this be an issue?

I could not find any posts, however, on the correct technique to hold the axle in place while tightening the spindle nut to 164 lb/ft. In past installs, I’ve had someone apply the brakes to hold the axle from turning while I torque the nut. Is there a better way to do this? I saw one post that suggested using anti-seize on the spindle nut, to get a more accurate torque reading. I have not done this in the past. Could it be that I'm not getting enough torque on the nut?

I certainly appreciate all the help I’ve gotten from you guys as I continue to learn about this great car!
Barry

What brand of bearings are you using? If you're using aftermarket that's your issue. Several of my friends and I autocross C4's and have found that AC Delco bearings will last 2 to 4 seasons depending on level of car prep and use. We tried a set of federal mogul bearings on a C4. The front bearings failed within three runs. Total time was about 120 seconds. Needless to say we will only run the AC Delco's, in the long run the cost is cheaper.

Jay

I kinda have the same result as you, in that the first set was cheapie Pep Boys (Chicago Rawhide?), which failed in about four months. Second set was ACDelco, ordered from Ecklers, which lasted one entire year. The ACDelco lasted longer than the cheapies, but still, one year? Maybe 15,000 miles?

Do you use anti-seize on the spindle nut when torqueing it down? I'm still wondering if I'm not getting them tight enough....

I used to have the same problem eating rear wheel bearings. What has worked for me is retorquing the spindle nut regularly. When I install new bearings I torque them to about 180 ft lbs. After 500 miles, I retorque them again, and before each weekend at the track I retorque them.

This had made a huge difference in wheelbearing life. Even the cheap bearings last a couple of years.

To tighten them I just yank the parking brake on. I do use a high temp anti seize on the threads.

Cheers,

Lawrence

Is Wrad Dad your liscense? If so we were at Buttonwillow last fall in Group 4. I have a Polo Green 96 with a matching roll bar.

Lawrence, I thought that was you! Thanks for the info, man. I'll definately give that a try with this next set.

Are you going to Buttonwillow again this weekend? Hope to see ya there!
Barry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom