Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rear wheel studs

bossvette

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1968 1997
Can the rear wheel studs be replaced on the car?
Apparently the tire shop that replaced the tires on my Wifes 82 CE broke off one of the studs when they put new tires on it and I would like to replace it while I am replacing the calipers; it looks like I'll have to remove the parking brake shoes to get behind it but looks pretty tight in there.
thanks
Craig sr.

Have to pull the shoes and cut a hole in the plate to pass the bolt through.

Have to pull the shoes and cut a hole in the plate to pass the bolt through.

Or, go the full 9 yards and press out the spindle and replace all the studs........on the theory that if one was tired, the others are getting that way.

Having a rear tire pass you on the highway is not the ideal way to take a cruise. :eek I know. It happened to me over 35 years ago. Hard launches had shocked the studs to the point that eventually all five (on the right rear) sheared off. Luckily, I was slowing down anyway. These cars are amazingly well balanced. The car didn't drop down onto the shock mount until 5 mph........but the wheel leaving did some fibreglass damage to the fender.

on the theory that if one was tired, the others are getting that way.

I doubt they were tired as that was the only wheel missing a lock.
New tires, fresh break, missing wheel lock; the condition of the other three locks and key tells me the "tire changer" was what is commonly referred to around here as "Bubba" with a big impact and a little brain. ;LOL
She had new tires put on two days before we went to Carlisle last year.

How its done

First I rotated the hub so the broken stud was at 6 o'clock
next I removed the adjuster and spring leaving the rest of the Parking brakes alone; then I cut the lower opening in the backing plate slightly larger
DSC03557.JPG

next I used grade 8 nuts and washers to "press" the stud in place with careful use of my impact
DSC03556.JPG

then the hardest part was replacement of the adjuster and spring
the completed rear brakes
DSC03558.JPG

soon She will be good to go I bought the stud and a complete new set of lug nuts from Wilcox quick delivery and a good price.

Couple of thoughts. removing the spindle will give access but will also require setting up new bearings as they will be wrecked.
Watch the chain store lug nuts they are not very good and will roll the threads- had a stud break because of this too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom