Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Window Storage

teedawg

Corvette
1969 Black & Gold Coupe
Does anyone have any pictures on how the storage tray is connected to the car in the cargo area? My didn't come with and I would like to put one back in. Thanks.

Best bet would be to purchase the assembly instruction manual for one of the years where the pop out window was availabe. The AIM will list all the parts you need, the original part numbers, and show you how they were installed at St. Louis.

:)

I don't have a picture but I went thru the same thing. The tray is attached to the rear wall of the storage area by 2 hinges that sit on top of the carpeting.

If you decide to replace the tray make sure you get the right one there was a change in the style and configuration of the tray sometime in the 70-72 time frame.

If you decide to replace the tray make sure you get the right one there was a change in the style and configuration of the tray sometime in the 70-72 time frame.
The storage compartment got 4" shorter in, I believe, '71. Something about giving more room to the gas tank in case of a rearend accident.

tom...

Does anyone have any pictures on how the storage tray is connected to the car in the cargo area? My didn't come with and I would like to put one back in. Thanks.

Assuming you want these pics for your '69 I'll try to get some for you and post them in the next few days, I think the trays are different between the years.

I use mine from time to time, but it rattles like crazy when the window is in there.

I completely forgot to get the pics for you! Oops.

I had the '69 out on Saturday, I even had my camera with me. I took a couple of pics of the Callaway C16 instead of anything usefull.

I guess I can pull the cover off tonght...

p8090037.jpg

This how I secured the brackets to the rear bulkhead on my '73: 1/4" well nuts. The car came from the factory with a steel plate on the backside of the rear bulkhead that the bracket bolts screwed into. I got the steel plates with the tray, but felt it was too much trouble to install them. The well nuts work fine.

Roger

pictures of my 69 window storage tray. Click on the thumbnail for a full size photo. That tray is original so it is a bit crusty! That little rusty thing in the corner is the hinge looking through the storage compartment from underneath the window storage tray. The three rivets in the corners are taken with the tray open from the inside of the window storage tray. If you can't figure out WTH those pictures are or if you need something else feel free to ask. Sorry it took so long.

p8090037.jpg

This how I secured the brackets to the rear bulkhead on my '73: 1/4" well nuts. The car came from the factory with a steel plate on the backside of the rear bulkhead that the bracket bolts screwed into. I got the steel plates with the tray, but felt it was too much trouble to install them. The well nuts work fine.

Roger

I didn't know '73 had a pop out rear window. That looks very different from my '69. (For one thing there isn't anything that clean in my '69 LOL)

p8090037.jpg

...The car came from the factory with a steel plate on the backside of the rear bulkhead that the bracket bolts screwed into. I got the steel plates with the tray, but felt it was too much trouble to install them. The well nuts work fine...

Those steel plates you refer to are reinforcements to ensure the mounting points don't pull through the fiberglass underbody.

:)

Thanks for posting the pics Koop. I gonna have to peel some carpet back and look for the plates and possibly the holes.

I don't think I'll be taking a hinge down to get to the back area, but I will be at the corvette shop today. If he has anything there that will I'll get some pics.

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom