Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rearend wanders

dieseldust

Hi all my rear end of my 1984 seems to want to change lanes and wander when i give it a little throttle,is something going to fall out here i am planning to go to a car show here soon and want to make sure it is safe.

Jack up the rear end, grab the wheel at 12-6 and pull in/out on it.
Then grab it and 9-3 and pull in/out.

Tell us if theres any wiggle.

While it is up in the air, turn the rear wheels and watch the half shafts, chances are you will see more movement then necessary. Then just go and get some new u-joints and replace them.
The configuration of the rear uses the half shaft for the upper A frame. When the u-joints go bad they allow the shaft to move causing the wheel to move, most noticable when either applying or letting off the gas...

Eagle: Is this movement often accompanied by a clunking noise? Like when downshifting?
I guess wheel bearing on their way out will allow for darting as well but mine will dart just from pavement irregularities. You get used to it.

AND I HAVE NOTICED IT MORE WHEN DRIVING IN RUTS ON THE ROAD ,BUT ALSO WHEN I GIVE IT THROTTLE,AND I DO HAVE THE CLUNKING SOUND ALSO MAYBE A COMBO OF U JOINTS AND BEARINGS ,THE CAR SAT FOR 3 YEARS BEFORE I BOUGHT IT,IT IS A 1984

yelling /lol

sorry about the capitol letters was not yelling honest, i have not met anyone out here yet:w :) :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom