Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: rebuilding calipers

Corvette
'74 383 4 spd coupe
Hey guys, anyone know of any tech articles/step by step for rebuilding the calipers on my '74 coupe? Did a search does everyone just replace them?
Thanks

Most people replace original calipers with stainless steel sleeved units from the aftermarket providers, using the originals as cores.

Rebuilding your originals doesn't take much more than a brake cylinder hone and seal kits, but if the bores are crudded up too badly, you'll never get them honed out and your new seals will soon be leaking.

Been there, done that. Due to budget concerns, the first time around I rebuilt the calipers on my '68. SS sleeved are on it now.

:thumb

I'd like to expand on what "6880 Mike" said and tell you that, if you're working with non-sleeved calipers and the problem is rusted piston bores, no level of honing will stop the rust once it's started.

If you have non-sleeved calipers which are leaking, I'd start fresh with stainless sleeved calipers. If you have sleeved calipers which need repair, usually new piston seals and boots along with a little very light abrasion of the bores is all you need.

There's a lot on 65-82 brakes...maybe more than you need...at:
The Big Block from Hell, Part 12
Big Block from Hell, Part 13

Hey guys thanks for the replies. The previous owner replaced the originals with stainless steel units in the early '90s didn't drive it much, about 4000 miles till I bought it in 2001. I drove it about 2000 miles till catastrope engine failure (I blew it up) in 2007 when I began this off frame restoration. I am going to go with bigger rotors, wheels, calipers when the money is there. If I can get by with rebuilding the one leaking caliper for the time being it won't seem as if I am wasting money on one new caliper.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom