Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rebuilding Waterpump 96- LT1

pns0ccc

Corvette
1996 Triple Black
I'm want to remove the original waterpump and rebuild/restore it myself. I have access to pullers and presses but need to know where to by rebuild kit. Also any hints or tips when performing this task?

I don't know of any kit for the water pump but would think a web search would help you out here. They rebuild the cores somehow but I would suspect just like anything else you need to find a supplier. I run into this a lot with OEM equipment....parts hard to find....hours of research....then they want to know how big an order you need. Sometimes the manufacturer has the parts made for them and you can't touch them. Sometimes it just don't pay. Good Luck!

A few yrs ago... like late 60s ... we used to rebuild waterpumps. GM even had the kits. The problem is that labor is so costly that it is not done in the shop anymore. If you do this yourself you have a very good chance of things not being right when you get done. There are issues such as castings being corroded or warped. I am not even sure that waterpumps are rebuilt anymore. It is to the point that it is more cost effective to just build new.

Glenn
:w

Well it was a thought, trying to find the rebuild kit has proven difficult. I believed I could do a better job if I rebuilt the water pump myself and I like tinkering with tasks I've done earlier in my career.
Thanks for your help. Any suggestions on where to purchase a new one? From what I can see from other postings there should be no difference between a Delco water pump from NAPA or one from Summit Racing. Thanks

How about a trick electic pump, and save some horsepower for the rear tires?:lou

Well it was a thought, trying to find the rebuild kit has proven difficult. I believed I could do a better job if I rebuilt the water pump myself and I like tinkering with tasks I've done earlier in my career.

I know where your coming from. I like to do things like that myself, I still rebuild my alt.and starter rather than buy rebuilts if time allows. I have found with some things it just isn't worth it anymore.
I would bet that the bearings and seals are standard items. If you have time to have the car down , take it apart and see if you can get numbers from the parts. The only thing that could be a problem is the shaft if you need to replace it. Find the blueprints for it and I could turn one out of 304 stainless for you . :D

Glenn
:w

Water Pumps

I still have the original pump in a box from my '96. I want it rebuilt eventually just because it was the original pump and I want the option of going back as close to original as possible someday. I have a NAPA pump on it now.

I don't know whether your dealing with an L-98 pump or LT-1 but if its the latter, one thing to be aware of when replacing is that the steel pipe that the upper hose connects to is prone to coming loose from the body... while your on the road. This happened to me. I went through three more pumps before I finally got one that stayed together. These were all new ones from Napa and I tried one new one from O'Reilly's, same prob.

good luck

Good advice from everyone and thank you. G Winter I appreciate your offer. Lone73 has helped me to make a decision on purchasing a water pump from Summit Racing. I still have plans to rebuild the OEM pump with standard bearings and seals as suggested by G Winter. With 91 K and no leaks this appears to be a very good pump. It is only for preventative measures that I'm rebuilding it.

With 91 K and no leaks this appears to be a very good pump. It is only for preventative measures that I'm rebuilding it.

Wow !!
Thats the highest mileage I've ever seen on a stock pump. I'd say you are way past due for a failure. I only got ~50K miles out of my original and about ~65K from the second one from NAPA. Got 162K on the car now, and I'm on my third pump if you don't count the ones that the steel sleeve popped out of during the last replacement.

If you've got the pump off (or are about to remove it) you may as well do some opti-spark maintenance while you're in there... unless its been done recently. I got one for ~$220 from a Buick dealer in Florida. I can look it up if you're interested. I took it apart and sealed it up good with RTV before installing. its got about 70K on it and still going.

good luck with it.

Only 91k miles? Oh com'on, I know people have more miles on their original pump then that. On my 96 Z I have over 107k with the original pump and opti. I am really hoping to get a few more thousand out of it before I have to replace either. However, I do hear the water pump starting to chirp on me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom