Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rebuilt engine problem

I hate to say it but you need someone that knows what they are doing working on your engine. Bon Ami and water in an engine!! Give me a break, why don't just gey some of that liquid glass thay put in the clunker cars if you want it damaged further. Get someone to remove and take the engine apart and see what the heck some idiot did wrong. You now also probably have some damaged bearings from the Bon Ami stunt. With that much oil consumption there is a problem that will not be fixed by testing and pouring S%$t in the motor. Did you get any type of warranty from the builder, if so tell him to fix it in a timely manner or you will sue for the rebuild price plus whatever it takes to get it fixed. Time to play hard ball with them. Sounds like you got screwed and did not even get a kiss.

I was pretty shocked myself when he poured the water and cleaner into the engine. Then he left the crankcase ventilation disconnected so now it wont idle. Im going to an idependent garage tommorrow.
He has agreed to pull the engine and send it back to rebuilder if they cant find the problem pretty soon. They are running out of other solutions. The whole thing is a giant pain. I am definitely getting tough with them now but unfortunateley getting a lawyer will only accomplish the two lawyers earning enough to from myself and the builder to buy themselves a new corvette each and delay the resolution of the problem for a year or two.
Thanks for your input

It sounds like they did a compression test which you measure in pounds. 160 or 170 etc, per cylinder.

A leak down test is done by putting each cylinder at top dead center, engine off , to close both intake and exhaust valves.
The cylinder is then pressurized with air by the a testing device that has two gauges. The cylinder is pressurized, and you watch how fast the air escapes from the cylinder. The rate is measured in % . 8% is normal for a new rebuild. It sounds like yours would be over 20 to 40% .

If your builder does not know how to do one, find someone who can. It is called a leak down test, because it measures the amount of air passing the rings, or leaking down.

You should have this test done first before putting anything in the engine.

A compression test is done with a gauge attached to the cylinder and then you crank the engine over. It will not show an out of round cylinder, which is what it sounds like you have because of not block honing the cylinders.

Did your engine re builder use a block like I showed in the picture? If not , stop wasting you time trying to seat the rings, that is not the problem.

Find some one who knows about a leak down test and do it.

Jack
As I suspected, it sounds like I am being bullshitted about the leak down test, I agree, its time for an idependent evaluation. I will ask him about the block hone but probably wont get a straight answer on that either.

A possible solution

As I suspected, it sounds like I am being bullshitted about the leak down test, I agree, its time for an idependent evaluation. I will ask him about the block hone but probably wont get a straight answer on that either.

Hi, Having been through the same experience as you I might suggest the following.

Don't let him touch your engine again. He has made mistakes because of competency issues.

Get a second opinion from a competent garage

Ask for all your labor charge money back.

All new parts he put in and are OK based on new builders report should be paid for (you did already)

Any parts that need to replaced because of mistakes on his part should be replaced and that money refunded to you

This way you get back money for new labor charges to rebuild your engine
You get back money for any new parts that are needed.

You do not want him to touch engine again

Hopefully this will be a good way out for him and a way for you to get some money back

I spent $4,200 on first build and $3,000 for a correct rebuild , it is not fun, but to chase him with lawyers as stated will only pay the lawyers

This is what I did, and it worked, he spent your money for new parts that you still have, and he won't give you money back for those parts

The labor charges should be refunded because of his incompetence.

He can see that it is only his time (labor charges) that you want back and will find it hard to keep because of the problems caused by him.

I hope this solution will work. Usually a compromise is best in this kind of case.

Jack

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom