Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Recall notice on painted roof panel

Lucy64

Corvette
1964 Red Convertible and 2005 DSOM Z51 Coupe
I got a recall notice from Chevrolet today. They say that they have learned of problems with the painted roof panel on the coupe that may separate from its frame in some areas if it is exposed to stresses along with high temperature and humidity. The occupants of the vehicle may notice a snapping noise when driving over bumps, wind noise, poor roof panel fit, roof panel movement/bounce when a door or latch is closed, or a water leak in the headliner. They say they will apply adhesive foam to ensure proper adhesion and in a small number of vehicles the roof panel may require replacement. Has anyone had any of these problems?? I have not noticed any problems at all, but I guess I will have to take it to the dealer just in case I have any problems in the future/

No problems since I got the car in Oct. 04. Got the recall notice yesterday. Sort of hard to figure where the separation would occur .

Had another thought. The notice says the service will be performed "at no charge until March 31,2007". So if you bought your 2005 C6 in, say March 0f 2005 , and the top peals off after March of 2007 , your not covered by the warranty. Huh ?

I don't know why the limit on the time for the recall repair. It does seem a little wierd that you are only given one year. I would think that if it is something they know about and are concerned enough to do a recall they would give more than a year.

Lucy64 said:
I got a recall notice from Chevrolet today. They say that they have learned of problems with the painted roof panel on the coupe that may separate from its frame in some areas if it is exposed to stresses along with high temperature and humidity. The occupants of the vehicle may notice a snapping noise when driving over bumps, wind noise, poor roof panel fit, roof panel movement/bounce when a door or latch is closed, or a water leak in the headliner. They say they will apply adhesive foam to ensure proper adhesion and in a small number of vehicles the roof panel may require replacement. Has anyone had any of these problems?? I have not noticed any problems at all, but I guess I will have to take it to the dealer just in case I have any problems in the future/

REPLY: Have there been any other recalls for the 2005 or 2006 thus far ? Where can one go to keep track of such things ? Thanks, Dave.

Lucy64 said:
I don't know why the limit on the time for the recall repair. It does seem a little wierd that you are only given one year. I would think that if it is something they know about and are concerned enough to do a recall they would give more than a year.

I'd say its a rather vague recall not typical of most recalls.
They're not saying if this an issue that will evolve into a problem with time and wear for all 05's.. OR..a hit and miss situation that won't affect cars not now experiencing the problem????
Fire the copywriter.. a little respect PLEASE!!!!!!!.. This a $50,000+ car.
Come to think of it, GM must take "vette" owners for granted...
I also own a Saturn.. I've been innundated since day one with dealer and company satisfaction questionares.
Not one inquiry yet on this car in almost a year...
Joe

I totally agree. They should treat the Corvette family much better than they do. This is another fine example of why GM is having problems.

Manufacturer followup

timetovette said:
I'd say its a rather vague recall not typical of most recalls.
They're not saying if this an issue that will evolve into a problem with time and wear for all 05's.. OR..a hit and miss situation that won't affect cars not now experiencing the problem????
Fire the copywriter.. a little respect PLEASE!!!!!!!.. This a $50,000+ car.
Come to think of it, GM must take "vette" owners for granted...
I also own a Saturn.. I've been innundated since day one with dealer and company satisfaction questionares.
Not one inquiry yet on this car in almost a year...
Joe

I have gotten factory questionaires on the new Corvettes, but frankly, I'm not impressed. It's almost like a little PR brochure. If I have questions or concerns about the car they TOTALLY ignore me. I agree that GM is weak on responding to what the customer wants... BUT, I like the new Vettes well enough to ignore Chevy's rudeness. They have a winner with the new Corvette line, and I guess they are too busy making and selling new cars to waste time with people who already bought one. That is one reason this website is so valuable--there are people here who CARE about the cars I care about. Thanks--to everyone here!
Gersh

My top is popping and making creaking noises when I hit bumps, or rough spots in the road. I guess its time to take it in.

I called my dealer yesterday (Maxi Price in GA)and they say they have ordered the parts for this voluntary customer satisfaction deal, but can not fix the tops until the parts come in. So I was asked to call back. I would have been happier if they said they would email me when the parts arrive. My MY coupe has no symptoms of top problems.

:eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom