Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Recharge Air Conditioner?

D

DHOUGHTON

I had the original engine rebuilt. I am about to recharge the Air Conditioner. There is no pressure so I need to recharge. Since I have no idea if it had R-12 before where do I go from here if I want to do it myself. Do I just buy the new stuff R-134 or whatever and recharge or are there other serious concerns?

Marathoner

You can recharge your system with a kit for these folks...Enviro-Safe
It is enviromentally safe, does not require a card, uses less product and is compatible with R-12 or R134. I use it on all my vehicles and it works great!

This is awesome stuff! We need to advertise this to our members. I am an environmental psychologist working in the area of conservation and preservation, and finding ways to solicit people to be more environmentally aware. This is just another step closer! I wasn't even aware this stuff was on the market!

DHOUGHTON said:
I am about to recharge the Air Conditioner. There is no pressure so I need to recharge. Since I have no idea if it had R-12 before where do I go from here if I want to do it myself. Do I just buy the new stuff R-134 or whatever and recharge or are there other serious concerns?

Marathoner
If it was converted over to 134a legaly, then it will have a sticker displayed where you can see it. Also the Schrader valves are different, it will have the 134a valves screwed on over the original.

But what happened to the original charge. Did it leak out, was it evacuated, or did the engine rebuilder just open up the system? If it leaked out then you need to have the system, and leak, repaired before doing anything. If evacuated, then just have it recharged with R12. And if it was just opened up then you need to overhaul the system much as a leak.

No mater what you do have it leak tested. If okay then you can recharge with what was in it. If you want to change then have it flushed, replace the o-rings, and replace the dryer. Sure there are kits out there that will let you change over without doing the o-rings, or dryer, or flush but that is just a short term fix. Do it right and make it a long term fix.

tom...

Well after replacing the condenser in my Blazer 5 years ago I put Enviro-safe in it. It still works great today. Guess a short time fix lasts about 5 years...Gee the things you learn at this place....

Oh...did I forget to mention I am a EPA certified MVAC.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom