Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Recommended Thermostat

Tsker79

Corvette
1979 L-82 5 spd, 2000 Torch Red FRC 6spd
I have a leaking water pump on my 79 L-82, I am planning on replacing it with a Stewart Short Stage 2 pump. They recommend also replacing the thermostat and recommend either a 160 or 180 degree Robert Shaw unit. I've searched the forum and can't find any articles or specifications on the thermostat. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Tsker79 said:
I have a leaking water pump on my 79 L-82, I am planning on replacing it with a Stewart Short Stage 2 pump. They recommend also replacing the thermostat and recommend either a 160 or 180 degree Robert Shaw unit. I've searched the forum and can't find any articles or specifications on the thermostat. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I would recommend going with a 180 degree. Mr. Gasket High Performance thermostats ARE Robertshaw. Summit sells them, and I believe someone said they got one at Autozone or somewhere.

I reckon the 160!

I have one in our 81 Coupe with a big block radiator. She runs at 160 once warmed. This is a good minimum temperature here in OZ.
With 160 being the minimum, it gives you 100 degrees before your Vette is in trouble, THAT IS if you have a cooling system that is pressurised and has coolant. If it is not pressurised, the coolant cannot disperse throught the water and raise the boiling temp from that of just water to the new fluid cocktail. As a result, your boiling temperature on a car with a defective cooling system is far less than that of one with a perfect system.

Remember thermostats just set your minimum operating temperature so your oil can reach its burn off point, the point where it burns it's own contaminents off. You will notice your oil will reach this point when the oil pressure first drops after cold start up.

Tip: Also check the hoses, we have Coolflex jobs (www.coolflex.com), great stuff! Check your radiator core and tanks, radiator cap and radiator shroud seals. If your seals are not good, it is like running your 350 without a water pump!

Cheers

Tony

pws69 said:
I would recommend going with a 180 degree. Mr. Gasket High Performance thermostats ARE Robertshaw. Summit sells them, and I believe someone said they got one at Autozone or somewhere.

Where's the stupid 'I agree' smilie? (oops wrong forum) :Silly

160 is too cool and is generally accepted to be below the optimum temp for your engine. No (C3) Corvette came equipped with one, nor is there an advantage to having one now.

I agree with Mikey - either 180 or 195 is standard and optimum.

Thanks to all who have chimed in. There is also a 7 page discussion going on in the C4 forum about the same topic. Two years ago I had to have my radiator repaired because of a leak. At that time, I also had all of the hoses replaced. I didn't even think about replacing the thermostat or water pump at that time since the previous owner had replaced them five years earlier. I thought the pump would have lasted longer than 7 years. The concensus of both C4 & C3 discussions seems to be that I should go with the higher degree thermostat. Thanks again for all the help. I knew I would get additional insight by asking my question here.

been here done this....

i have a 160 to anyone who wants it free...

i put it in and it ran at 160...right at or just below the low limit on my gauge..it was so border line, i went back to the 180 or 185 and i run right where it should...im under 200...so i dont see an advantage at all....
here in michigan...im never going to run in the snow here...
(Hmmmm, maybe if i got some sweet snow tires! ;LOL )
use the 180 and enjoy the ride! :beer
Chas

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom