Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

RED HOT book with 160 pages and over 339 photos

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
I put together a book over the past couple of weeks that is 160 pages long with over 339 photos. It documents the build of the car from the beginning to the present.

Take a look at the first 15 pages to give you an idea of how it looks....whne I get it I will post some photos of the book. But in the meantime here is a link to the book.

RED HOT | Book Preview (click on the page to turn it.....)

let me know what you think.....

Herb

Looks great. Wish I had the talent to rebuild a car like you do.

Good luck with the publishing.

Ron
"Baldie88"

Looks great. Wish I had the talent to rebuild a car like you do.
you do! it just takes time and money and a lot of patience and the people on the forum!

Good luck with the publishing.

Ron
"Baldie88"
I am not trying to make any money, actually I did this to get the photos organized in one book. Rather than a photo album, I thought that this might be a good way to do it. Also, take the car to a car show and display the book with the car......not many cars have a book written along with photos that goes through the complete build process. Took about 2 weeks working 1 to 2 hours per night at the computer.

Very nice. What kind of program did you use to do this?

Tom

Very nice. What kind of program did you use to do this?

Tom
just go to the site, they download a program into your computer and it is really quite easy. The most difficult thing to do is get yourself organized to begin with. Get your photos into seperate file folders and then name them in some type of sequence you will recognize. As I used each folder I renamed the folder with a "z" in front of the folder name, that way I knew I used it already and if I had the folders arranged by type, the ones with "z" first in the name went to the bottom of the main folder. Made keeping track of them easier.

But you have to be organized BEFORE you start otherwise it is a nightmare looking through photos up and down.

go to www.blurb.com and there is a DOWNLOAD button to push....then it really is quite easy. I uploaded it on Sunday night and got an email yesterday that it was already in the mail! I will have it this weekend! The company is located in the state of Washington.

Sounds easy enough. Now all I have to do is finish something so I can make a book of it. :L

Smoken dude.. I like it..:beer

I got an email from them, it had already shipped on Monday (it is coming from the state of Washington). I only uploaded it this last Sunday. I will have it this weekend. I will take some photos of it and then provide a narrative of the quality etc.....stay tuned...

Herb,
I really like pages 10 and 11.. That was my 1st body lift and hopefully not my last.
Very cool idea,
Jim

Herb,
I really like pages 10 and 11.. That was my 1st body lift and hopefully not my last.
Very cool idea,
Jim
yup! You and Craig are both in there! I couldn't have done it without you two for sure! Right now I am doing a '63SWC onto a SRIII frame....taking photos along the way, will probably do another book when I am all done.....it sure is a lot of fun, but right now when ever we are done, after getting up and down from the floor, it is a PIA!

When we have just the body on the rotisserie or the frame on the mid rise lift it will be much easier and not feel the pain like I do getting up and down off the cold floor, but right now there is no other way to do what we need to do!

Sounds easy enough. Now all I have to do is finish something so I can make a book of it. :L
:L I resemble that remark.

Very nice, Herb! :thumb

:wJane Ann

some of the pages....

blurb11-vi.jpg

blurb1-vi.jpg

blurb2-vi.jpg

blurb3-vi.jpg

blurb4-vi.jpg

Book cover
cover-vi.jpg

got my book, heres my comments.....

I received the book on Friday. Unfortunately, FedEx found a way to drop it on one of the corners of the shipping box and really did a number on the spine. I sent an email to Blurb and they responded back within the hour asking for photos. I sent them a photo and they again responded within the hour giving me a prepaid UPS shipping label and letting me know that they were printing up another book. I was impressed with the speed and ease of the communication.

Here are some photos and comments from the book...

Cover - I got the title too close to the top, while the computer view looked ok, I should have dropped it more....my mistake
IMG_3340Small1-vi.jpg

the paper was nice, not the super expensive stuff that you might see, but a nice semi gloss texture.
IMG_3341Small1-vi.jpg

The sharper the photo the better it will print up. For all of the photos I went into Photoshop and resized them to 300dpi, necessary for 4 color printing whether a book or a magazine. Each file had a size of between 2 to 7MB.

the red colors on the pages really popped! On one or two pages the red was over whelming (did I just say that?)
IMG_3342Small-vi.jpg

You have the option to change the page back ground color, on the page on the left, I just noticed that I had made the page BLACK, I did that when I was putting photos like the one on the right to fill in top and bottom when ever I would shrink the photo to fit the page there would be gaps at the top and bottom, it was easy to over come with black pages, but then I would forget and the result is on the left...
IMG_3343Small1-vi.jpg

IMG_3344Small-vi.jpg

IMG_3345Small-vi.jpg

IMG_3347Small-vi.jpg

IMG_3348Small-vi.jpg

They recommend printing out a sample copy before you order your printed book. Of course I didn't do that. Next time I will. I think that it is one thing to look at each page on the computer and I did do that finding various typo errors that I had made, but I think when you can look at pages and think about it, that you have a different feel and idea about how you want it to turn out.

The back page I used, I forgot to turn the page black, and you can see the outline around the edge of the book. I should have made the page black and then it all would have blended together. I am not sure if printint ahead would have caught this or not.....
IMG_3350Small2-vi.jpg

I didn't see how to put a title on the edge of the book so it is whilte and left blank. Next time I will get the sorted out and fixed.

All in all, it is a good service. Not very hard to do and their software makes it pretty easy. I will use them again. Maybe next time I will try the regular paper rather than the premium paper and see how that turns out. It costs less and you can put more pages in the book (over 400 versus 160).

If anyone tries the book route and has questions, I would be glad to share what I know (not usually very much). I will probably make some vacation books since we do a lot of travel and Sharon often complains that she doesn't see all the photos that we take.

Good luck!

the vacation book is a great idea, I too have many pics that need organized. Can you tell me what kind of cost you've got in having a book printed ?
And who knows, someday maybe a body off when I have more time.
Jim

the vacation book is a great idea, I too have many pics that need organized. Can you tell me what kind of cost you've got in having a book printed ?
And who knows, someday maybe a body off when I have more time.
Jim
depending on the type paper you choose, size of the book and number of pages it can cost anywhere from $20 to $100......but it is bound, the ends of the pages are sewn together and then with a regular book spine. Go to www.blurb.com and you can get an idea of what costs what....

Herb,
You did a great job. What a cool way to record and display all your work. I have a couple hundred pictures of the '59 I'm finally putting back together. If I can find time maybe I'll try to put one together for the owner. You've got a beautiful car there. :thumb

Gerry

Herb,
You did a great job. What a cool way to record and display all your work. I have a couple hundred pictures of the '59 I'm finally putting back together. If I can find time maybe I'll try to put one together for the owner. You've got a beautiful car there. :thumb

Gerry
thanks Gerry, if you have a laptop you can sit in front of the TV at night for an hour or two at the time and make the book.........

Herb, that's awesome!!:thumb Are you sending autographed copies to all your best friends???:upthumbs:chuckle

Herb, that's awesome!!:thumb Are you sending autographed copies to all your best friends???:upthumbs:chuckle
Have you heard about my book signing? The autographs are FREE with the purchase of every book :)puke)......:rotfl

How many autographs did you want?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom