Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Redoing '91 interior

Today we made great progress! Todays mission: doors

Click for image-links below.

First drill out the rivets holding red door handles in the doors, clean and apply base coat
Then apply Duplicolor chrome paint which is wear and heat resistant
When done let dry and the put to oven for an hour to cure
Install handles back to door with rivets

Installing sound insulations to driver door. Foam + Dynamat
One door ready for door panel fitting
Fits like a glove :)
Yeah baby!
Other side fits too!

Doors now make very nice and solid thump -sound when closed. All rattles and bucket of rusty nails -sounds are gone!

We then decided to test fit together all center console plastics too.
Starting to look nice, really nice ;)
View from drivers side
View from passengers side
And both seats visible

When we were finally ready 8 1/2 hours later we went for a test ride to see if all our sound insulation works has paid off. It really has!!! It was incredible! No squeaks, I mean absolutely not one time in 10 miles. No resonations inside dash or by other panels either when driving at 1200-5000 rpm. There was one little sound somewhere inside the dash when I was driving very slowly in town center. The tire noise is also totally gone! And the exhaust drone I had when driving about 50mph is now reduced to pleasant level.

So total success with the sound insulation and panel fitting :) Pretty happy right now :)

Tomorrow we will tackle the stereo installation. Head unit and front speakers to put in. Head unit should be pretty easy, we have already figured out the wiring. Front speakers on the other hand might be little more difficult.

To be continued.

Honestly, it's looking better than it did when it came out of Bowling Green.

Will the sound insulation also help with the temperature insulation as well?

No experience on that yet but it should. The MAD kit I installed has a temperature blocking foil on one side. And obviously the 4mm (0.16") bitume should also delay heat soaking in from floors. I installed both on top of each other so there is quite a bit of insulation before heat gets into cockpit (+ mass back on the carpets).

On sunday we finally installed rest of the audio system. The whole day was plagued with little difficulties but in the end we were succesful and by 11 PM music was playing in my Vette after 6 musicless years! :cool:

Hmmm...the face plate on the Blaupunkt hu is so thick it will stick out! :willy:
All wiring ready and the crossovers seem to fit under the hu
Power connection done!
Speakers starting to fit too
Hey, it works!

Today I worked to finish the car so a big day for me :)

It took several hours to make the center console panel fit properly with the hu in place. For some reason it didn't want to fit at all - when I got one corner straight another popped out. So I grinded it again and again test fitting between. In the end it fit pretty good but I needed to repaint it. Paintwork ended up better than it was before :)

I also once again removed the airbag to get the horn buttons out. I then sanded them again and applied the final color and clear coats. They turned up nicely too.

Finally I installed the last panels: driver and passenger knee panels and the triangle shaped panel becide gas pedal. They were total b.tch to install when everything else is already in place - no room for me, tools or the panels!! In the end I got them in and now my interior is 99.8% finished. :D

Thank you everybody for your encouragement!

valmis2fw0.jpg

I love the stitching on the shifter and shifter boot as well as the steering wheel stitching. I also like the metallic look on the steering wheel.

Toni,
I also just stumbled upon this thread and have been admiring the work you did. In a word: :cool . It's very well done, and clearly you sprang for quality workmanship. I am quite impressed.

I would never have thought to add all the leather details you did (glove box panel, dash, etc.) But it looks very nice! In fact, I'd have to say the only way could surround yourself with more leather is to climb inside a cow.

Excellent work!

:beer
-Patrick

Wow. What an incredible job! Nice work...

These photos are great!

The amount of hard work is showing in the results. :upthumbs

B17Crew
:w

Been waiting anxiously for the next installment!

Looks great! Thanks for the update.

That is one nice interior, too bad you're in Finland. I'd have you come to my place and help me fix up my interior.

Awsome job...you have a lot more patience than I do...I was thinking of changing my red to black also, but I better get her bathroom remodeled first...I hate it when that happens
ENJOY THE RIDE
John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom