Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Relacing my ignition switch in my C5-HELP!

T

Torchy2000

Has anyone had any experience with replacing the ignition switch in their C5? After a month of trying different things (including replacing the battery; that actually solved my start-up problem for about 2 weeks), I've isolated it to the switch. I've used lithium grease and contact cleaner/spray with moderate, temporary results. The part is only about $75 from GM. Both keys fail to start the car 1 in 5 times. It used to be just three minutes, now its up to multiples of three...

How hard do you think it'd be?

Torchy

Locksmith to the rescue

I've done dozens, but what makes you think it is the switch (lock & key)? If it fails to turn, that is your culprit. If it turns and doesn't start--the lock & key isn't your problem.
What exact problem are you haveing?
--Drew:w

She won't crank approx. 1 in 4-5 times. Security light on dash stays on. Does this with both keys. Wait 3 minutes and it cranks (security), sometimes longer. Checked my codes (check all my posts from my profile, it gives details) and it says it doesn't recognize my pass key. Replaced car battery and the problem didn't begin again for a week or so. I've used lithium gease and contact spray cleaner and the problem goes away for another week or so:confused

Your take???:upthumbs

Torchy

VATS module

I would tend to doubt that the lock is bad. The lock is connected to the Passkey module by some fairly thin wires, but with this being (a) a newer car and (b) an intermittent problem, it sounds electrical problem, rather than mechanical problem. I'm afraid this is a dealer item. If you replace the lock I'm pretty sure you will still have the same problem.:(
Wish I had better news. Let us know.
--Drew:w

is the car under warranty? i would have it at my dealership until it was resolved. i would guess that you risk having your warranty canceled if things don't go right during the work.
one item that i have seen in the c5 vettes that seems to reak havoc with the electrical systems is water. seems like lots of dampness under the dash from AC condensation, or just plan leaks.
anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes...

I also had the same problem

I had the dealer repair it by replacing a module behind the ignition switch for a mere $319.00. works great.

Holy old thread resurrection! :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom