Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Relay clicking???? Help Guys!

meridian6

Corvette
1992 LT1 White Convertible America3
I have a 92 LT1 and have replaced three heavy duty batteries in last two years. Latest one is 3 month old. Garage kept.
Dead battery again. It is down to 11 volt (terminal to terminal).
Charger and cluster voltmeter show it charges between 14.2 and 15.2 volts, once I kick start and run it. Even after an hour trip, interior cluster meter never goes below 13.9 V?? Shut it down, won't start. But after attempting start I HAVE A RELAY OR SOMETHING CLICKING DIRECTLY BEHIND PASSENGER SIDE GLOVE BOX. Any ideas? Is it just a relay that is not getting enough amps or do you think the relay is bad and draining amps when car parked?? Even with ignition off and doors closed, it chatters for several minutes?? If I smack the front of glovebox, the vibration sometimes shuts it up! :CRASH NO!!, THERE IS NO ANIMAL IN THE GLOVEBOX!!:r
Anything you think of is appreciated. When the battery first comes off the charger, it is fine and everything runs fine, but still charges at 13.9v on interior guage.

Just changed my battery recently & had the same symptoms. All is quiet now. It apparently is normal with a low battery condition.

That clicking that you are hearing is actually normal/associated with a dead battery.

It sounds like your battery will take a charge, but will not hold it. It that correct? If so, toss it out.

Do you leave the car hooked up to the battery for long periods of time (even 10 to 14 days)? Your car will suck that battery dry if left hooked up to it and sitting. (Been there, done that).

Either remove the negative terminal, or hook up a trickle charger to it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom