Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removable rear window

matthud

Corvette
1969 LeMans Blue Coupe
Can someone take some pictures of the rear window area on a 69-72 Vette. I've just recently come to find that mine is missing pieces around the area where the pins from the window fit in. So if anyone could post or send me pictures of the area where the removable window sits I would appreciate it.

Order the '69 assembly instruction manual (AIM). Everything concerning the lift out window and storage tray is in the AIM; assembly notes, original part numbers, diagrams, etc. Some of these parts are being reproduced. Other parts will require shopping the swap meets or searching on-line.
:)

I have the AIM, I was just looking to get an actual picture of how it looks and what is there.

Window out (up side down at bottom of photo).

230355015_bc47b963a7_b.jpg

Slightly diffrent angles

230355014_bf98817949_b.jpg

230355012_2a0b14cdf1_b.jpg

Do you happen to know what size those screws are that hold the guide and plate at the bottom?

I'm not sure what size they are.

Maybe this will help:

Sorry I did not have a thread gauge handy.

The screw drops into the 9/64 and would probably screw into the 1/8.

243060822_eadda1e28a_b.jpg

I looked in my parts manuals it calls for a 10/24x 1/2. Going through this myself. However I just checked the repo mount plate and the 10/24 is to big going to try an 8/32. I am guessing the originals were 10/24

I looked in my parts manuals it calls for a 10/24x 1/2. Going through this myself. However I just checked the repo mount plate and the 10/24 is to big going to try an 8/32. I am guessing the originals were 10/24

Thats not the right screw. That is the size of the screw that holds the latch at the top of the window.

I believe based on the picture from above that the screw in the plate should be a #6 x 1/2".

And there is a U nut in the fiberglass that this screw goes into, right?

I'll pull the lower guide out tonight when I'm home and take some additional photos. I only pulled the one screw out not the guide.

Thanks for all your help.
I am pretty sure its just a U nut, because I couldnt see screwing into the fiberglass, and there is nothing else below there that I can tell.

Sorry if I posted some wrong information. The parts manuals have known to be wrong. I got a number six screw it fits the anchor plate. I believe a J-nut was also used to anchor the plates. Trying to install the removable in my 73.

Okay.. pictures are probably better than a description, but I'll try both.

There are four of the #6 screws on the lower parts. Two per side. They hold a plastic guide and a metal guide in place above the fiberglass and they screw into a u shaped metal peice that is below the fiberglass and rivited to it.

This picture shows the guides and srcrews.

244195645_e631265a27_b.jpg

This picture shows the view from the top with guides removed. The smaller round holes are where the screws thread into. The larger square is where the window guide drops into. The larger round things in the photo are the rivets holding the u nut.

244195651_3fce0a4795_b.jpg

This last photo is taken from the back of the car looking toward the interior. The grill on the rear deck was removed and the photo I attempted to take looking into tthe grill opening and under the fiberglass. You can see the u shaped metal nut plate with the holes for the screws and window guide. Also slightly visible is the rivets, especially on the left side of u nut in the photo. Looks like a real pain to have to install a replacement. I removed the rear interior cover (above the window tray and just below the window opening) but could not access the plate from the interior. That is why I had to pull the grill off to shoot the picture. Hope this was helpful for you.

244195650_33416fc99c_b.jpg

Just finished the window in my 73. Used 6/32x1/2 in the bottom window guide. Removed the deck grilles and was a ble to put an anchor plate below that I drilled and tapped. The guide pin hole was already there. The upper latches I had to drill the holes 1/4 and used J-nuts for the top latches. Glueing the wheatherstrip took the longest.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom