Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Removal of EGR heat tube.

Marv02

Corvette
1986 C-4 Corvette
If I remove the EGR tube that runs from the Exhaust manifold to the intake manifold where it hook to the EGR temp swicth what will happen..
Will this throw a code or what I will keep the EGR temp swicth in place hooked up if needed just caped off.
The reason why I asked this I using a small hard line tube as of now I getting a pulsing ticking sound from the small tube I just want put back on during smog check every 2 years here in Cal.
Or do I need to Fab up a larger tube I guess to get rid of that pulsing type ticking sound at idel.
If I put a screwdrive on the Plentum and the other end to my ear thats where the sounds coming from I checked and gone thought the valve trian this is the only thing I could be.
The tube I have on it about half the diameter of the stock EGR tube.

1986 Vett.

Not sure why this would be contributing to a ticking noise. On my stock 90 L98 I took the A.I.R. system off then removed my EGR. The check engine light would come on after the engine would warm up and it would have taken some reprograming to get it to stop doing that. It did not effect the car in any other way........that's not entirely true the car did run a bit rich and the tune would have leaned it back out.

No smog checks out here so did not have to worry about that. I sold the car but was going to hook the EGR back up if I had kept it.

After thinking about it I think they removed that EGR out he system when they burnt the chip I unplug it and see if the light comes on.

Won't you fail the test for high NOX w/o the EGR? :w

Won't you fail the test for high NOX w/o the EGR? :w

In Ca? yep....they might even impound the car with their current laws. He'll never even get hooked up to a test machine if he fails the visual inspection.
Big no-no tampering with smog equipment in Ca...hell to pay if you pass one of the mobile smog test trucks that sit and scan traffic getting on the freeway. They also scan license plates on cars that fail the drive-by scans...

It was "over" when they required cats on motorcycles and in some counties banned charcoal grills and lighter fluid.

I looked in to removing the tube they say this not my noise issues so I have not removed it.

Beside the way I have it hooked up I just have to unscrew it and put a couple pugs on it if neede just screw the tube back on when needed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom