Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Removing a breaker plate.

timsvet62

Corvette
1962 convertible
I'm rebuilding my 1962 corvette distributor. I need to know how to remove the plate the points are mounted on. I think it is pressed on but I'm not sure. If anyone knows how to remove it please let my know.

Thanks, Tim

It's not pressed on the shaft. A ridge or a collar on the shaft holds it down. You can get it off by removing the shaft. To do that, you need to punch out the pin that holds the gear at the bottom off. Then the shaft will come out through the top. I believe this is covered in the shop manual. If you take the distributor apart, you will want a shop manual. You will probably need to shim the shaft. The gear can go on 2 ways, but only 1 will allow you to time it properly. There's a lot of little things in there that you'll want to know. Most of the parts are still sold by the usual Corvette suppliers. If you are considering rebuilding one, do it. They are not hard to rebuild.

The breaker plate is retained to the upper bushing by a "C"-shaped retaining clip that fits in a groove just below the top of the bushing. The mainshaft and points cam have to come out first. There's an excellent article on rebuilding the Corvette tach drive distributor at www.tispecialty.com. :thumb

The old eyes are not what they use to be. I cleaned the area better and found the C-clip. Remove it and was able to remove the breaker plate. Thanks for the help guys.
Tim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom