Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removing bread box from dash

Ken said:
Looks good but WAY too big! Can ya reduce it a little Rich?

Howsat? Better?

BTW, the steering wheel replacement is a three-hundred dollar item too. :eyerole

_ken ;)

Yeah... I know... :( that's low on my list, though. Door panel first (the car has an aftermarket driver's door panel from a place called Corvette America, and it's completely pulled away and broken at the top).

Originally, my goal was a track car - something that I could make fast but not worry too much about the appearance. Now that I have it, though, I have to make it LOOK good, too. :eyerole

[RICHR]

Holy Schmoley

That thing is almost as ugly as the pad! :eek Just kidding, but pretty ugly. Next is the wheel? Also, they make an ashtray (for you friggin smokers) that fits into one of the drink holders. I have one that has never been used that came with my car. I'm pretty sure it can be gotten as an aftermarket item too (like you have any spare time with that project). Also, let me know about your quest for a door panel, I might need one aswell.

Drew :w

Re: Holy Schmoley

Drewser said:
That thing is almost as ugly as the pad! :eek Just kidding, but pretty ugly. Next is the wheel? Also, they make an ashtray (for you friggin smokers) that fits into one of the drink holders. I have one that has never been used that came with my car. I'm pretty sure it can be gotten as an aftermarket item too (like you have any spare time with that project). Also, let me know about your quest for a door panel, I might need one aswell.

Drew :w

Geez Louise! Cut a guy some slack! :) It's not as nice as the later C4 dash, sure, but it's a darned sight better than the protuberance that GM designed...

Wheel will probably be a while - my wife said she might get me one for a birthday or something, but I want to see what's at Carlisle this year, and also what a local upholstry shop can do.

Not a smoker, BTW. What you saw in the pix that looked like an ashtray is a magnetic small-parts holder - very handy.

I'm looking at the door panels right now. I'm thinking from the one that I have that they're sold as a bare shell and you move over all the power pieces and speaker covers and maybe even the padding.

[RICHR]

Re: Re: Holy Schmoley

rrubel said:

Not a smoker, BTW. What you saw in the pix that looked like an ashtray is a magnetic small-parts holder - very handy.
[RICHR]

I should have seen that. I have a blue one and it IS very handy. I don't hate the early C4 dash at all. I'm even gonna leave my protuberance in just for a conversation piece. When people ask me, "What the Hell is it?" I'm gonna say that it is a...well it could be used for a...I GOT IT! That is where we bake the bread!:L
:w--Drew

:D :D :D Great answer!!..........I'm gonna leave mine alone. Besides I sit on the other side. :Twist.....The wife can make sandwiches over there. Probably room in there for mayonaise too.
:L :crazy

Corvette-gut truck?

Ya know, I've seen replacement pieces that fit behind the seats (under those locking panels) that are really coolers. I'll bet that you could put some ham, turkey, roast beef, whatever in one and a few "beverages" in the other and have a nice little meal. My wife sits on that side too and she can bake the bread and make the sandwiches (I'm sure mayo & mustard will fit there too). :crazy :drink

Haven't checked this forum out in a while, and just saw your thread. So you want to get the 'bread box' out of an '86? It's relatively easy, if you take out the passenger seat and knee panel first! Check out my web site below, clink on the 'Resto Tips: How to remove 'bread box' and knee panels!' link. Pictures and everything.

I've heard before that vettes are actually easy to work on, if you just spend the time getting certain parts out first. I was surprised how easy it was to get to the point of being able to take out the bread box, or to get to the heater core. A www.corvettemagazine.com article on replacing the heater core says to get the 'swear jar' handy, because you're going to fill it up!. I haven't done mechanical work for decades, and was surprised how easy it was to do (my goal was to get the knee panel off, but once that was off, everything was opened up and available).

Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom