Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport removing gas from the tank

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.

junkyardjohn

Corvette
2010 grand sport covert. blue
Hey people, I need a wee bit of information.
I have a full tank of gas in my 2010 grand sport from when I picked up the car from the dealer. The 2010 now has 96 miles on it and would like to remove that gas and replace it with something fresh.
How do I get the gas out of the tank?

I have a full tank of gas in my 2010 grand sport from when I picked up the car from the dealer. The 2010 now has 96 miles on it and would like to remove that gas and replace it with something fresh.

Drive it out. 'Nough said.

The idea is too keep the mileage as low as possible. :chuckle

Why?

I don't mean any disrespect as I hopefully will be purchasing a C6 in the not too distant future, and I intend to drive mine if I'm lucky enough to purchase one.
I don't see these vehicles becoming "collectables" for at least 40-50 years, if ever. They certainly won't be worth more than what we pay for them in our lifetimes - at least not in mine (I'm 56)!

-JS

The Left side is easy with a electric fuel pump,hose and 40 gallon plastic barrel or a fuel caddy,the Right side is a little more complicated!:thumb

The idea is too keep the mileage as low as possible. :chuckle
Well,In that case just jab a Ice Pick unto the bottom of each tank,Problem Solved!~!!:D

Why?

I don't mean any disrespect as I hopefully will be purchasing a C6 in the not too distant future, and I intend to drive mine if I'm lucky enough to purchase one.
I don't see these vehicles becoming "collectables" for at least 40-50 years, if ever. They certainly won't be worth more than what we pay for them in our lifetimes - at least not in mine (I'm 56)!

-JS
Yeah,I had a Garage Queen for about 3 years,But at over 30+ MPG,I decided my Corvette was my economy car!~!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

:beer

Last edited:
All he's asking for is a way to empty the fuel tank without stepping all over him for not driving it. Leave him alone now! .................Although...it does bring up a thought as to how somebody can purchase a wonderful, fun car like that and leave it alone. I can't see myself sitting in a lawn chair inside the garage and making sure there is no measurement of dust accumulating! I watch some of these cars going for sale 10 years later only to fetch a few thousand dollars more than a higher mileage Corvettes. If you have tons of money and a collection started, ok, but at this point there are just so many of them for sale and will be forever!!! I don't know what you upgraded from, but you haven't even begun to appreciate the marvel that car is. I was just thinking about this and won't bring it up in this tread............... :) Chuck M

The Left side is easy with a electric fuel pump,hose and 40 gallon plastic barrel or a fuel caddy,the Right side is a little more complicated!:thumb
A couple questions:

How difficult is it to get the gas from the RIGHT side?
Would it be sufficient to remove the fuel from the LEFT side only, then refill the tank with fresh gasoline, thereby mixing the contents and having fresher than you have in it now?

Well,In that case just jab a Ice Pick unto the bottom of each tank,Problem Solved!~!!:D
You guys crack me up. :L

You may also have noticed that many in our community can't relate to letting them sit in a garage unused. I admit I'm one of 'em, but it's YOUR Corvette, so carry on. :upthumbs

:wJane Ann

The best way to do it would be to disconnect the fuel supply line to the injector rail and run a petrol compatable rubber line from the supply line into a large catch can. Jump the fuel pump relay and let the vehicle fuel pump discharge the fuel. It will be important to make sure that the ignition is on and watch the fuel gauge closely, shutting off the pump at 1/8-1/4 fuel level as you don't want to run the fuel pump dry and damage it. Good luck with it, and always with fuel related repairs be very carefull. :)

The best way to do it would be to disconnect the fuel supply line to the injector rail and run a petrol compatable rubber line from the supply line into a large catch can. Jump the fuel pump relay and let the vehicle fuel pump discharge the fuel. It will be important to make sure that the ignition is on and watch the fuel gauge closely, shutting off the pump at 1/8-1/4 fuel level as you don't want to run the fuel pump dry and damage it. Good luck with it, and always with fuel related repairs be very carefull. :)
attachment.php
attachment.php
:thumb

HI there,

There are 2 things with the GS that people do not talk about.

When you turn on the fuel pump by turning on the fuel pump relay, you are ALSO circulating the fuel between drivers side tank and passenger side tank as well. And also, you can create check engine light if you short the fuel pump relay to run the pump without running the engine.

What I would suggest is simply attach a fuel pressure gauge with a bleed off adapter to the fuel rail. Start the vehicle and let it idle.

Run the bleed off hose into a gas can and open the bleed off and allow it to slowly drain into the tank.

This will also remove the fuel from the passenger side tank and will still allow the engine to run.

Once the vehicle stalls, you know your fully empty as much as you can.

Allthebest, c4c5

I can see where that would be allot safer.:thumb
But I just don't like to run a pump dry,I try not to even run my C5 below 1/4 tank.
HI there,

There are 2 things with the GS that people do not talk about.

When you turn on the fuel pump by turning on the fuel pump relay, you are ALSO circulating the fuel between drivers side tank and passenger side tank as well. And also, you can create check engine light if you short the fuel pump relay to run the pump without running the engine.

What I would suggest is simply attach a fuel pressure gauge with a bleed off adapter to the fuel rail. Start the vehicle and let it idle.

Run the bleed off hose into a gas can and open the bleed off and allow it to slowly drain into the tank.

This will also remove the fuel from the passenger side tank and will still allow the engine to run.

Once the vehicle stalls, you know your fully empty as much as you can.

Allthebest, c4c5

best one yet.

Best tid bit of ino so far.:happyanim:

Do a track day. In less than 30 minutes of driving, the tank will be almost empty.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom